Detailed Fuzzrite Pics and parts

tonetti

Detailed Fuzzrite Pics and parts

Postby tonetti » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:55 pm

I am planning on building an exact fuzzrite clone, as soon as I finish building a 6g15 reverb unit. I am in need of some detalied pics. I dont own an original, and I beleive the schematics I've seen are not correct. Has anyone else here built a fuzzrite clone, if so I would love to pick your brain.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Re: Detailed Fuzzrite Pics and parts

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:12 pm

I'm pretty sure Danny has built one from a kit if I remember correctly. Not sure if the kits are dead original spec though.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm

tonetti wrote:I am planning on building an exact fuzzrite clone, as soon as I finish building a 6g15 reverb unit. I am in need of some detalied pics. I dont own an original, and I beleive the schematics I've seen are not correct. Has anyone else here built a fuzzrite clone, if so I would love to pick your brain.

Andy, check this out (you gotta use that "Search Button" up above) ;)..................
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=156&start=20&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fuzzrite
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

tonetti

Postby tonetti » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Dennis, I have actually been studying that very thread for the past few days, and I am just not fulfilled :? I was wanting more,to talk to people who have built their own fuzzrite clones, as well as get some shots of the individual components' actual value, if possible. As well as what parts were used/swapped, as some of them are very hard to track down, such as the TZ82 and RCA 2N408 and a RCA 2N2613 Resistors. I want to make mine as close to the origional as possible, I know I could just go out and buy one, but I really enjoy building things myself, as well as learning along the way.

I am putting together a parts list, and this is what I have so far, just by going off of pics I've seen. Please correct me if I am wrong on anything.

Resistors:

1x 10Mohm Resistor
2x 22Kohm Resistor
1x 100Kohm Resistor
1x 47Kohm Resistor
1x 1Mohm Resistor

Transistors:

and I see the earlier ones have a RCA 2N408 and a RCA 2N2613

Caps look like 3x .05uf 50v
and 2x .002UF 50V?

I need the value on what apears to be an electrolytic cap 25UF?? Voltage?

Pots:

500K volume
350K tone

Where would be a good supply to source some of these parts? I think this is about it except for the jacks, and switch.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:11 am

The problem here is that there are more than one version of the Fuzzrite circuit.

The parts that you describe in your resistor list is for the earlier Germanium transistor version. The later versions used Silicon transistors (TZ82) and far fewer resistors.

If you search the web you can find schematics of both versions out there. Most schematics do not include the power switching arrangement that uses the filter cap.

The Germanium version usually uses 3 transistors, but I think I've seen a version that used only 2. The Silicon versions all used 2 transistors.

The basic circuit is a two stage high gain amplifier. This is true of either version. Both stages in the circuit are inverting (output is 180 degrees from the input). The Fuzz control chooses the signal from either the first stage output or the second stage output. The signal output from either stage is coupled through a very small cap 0.002uF causing the output sound to be very bright.

I've built the Silicon version and have one of the original couplet (encapulated circuit) Mosrite versions. They are an interesting sounding device, but not for all players.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:29 pm

as soon as I finish building a 6g15 reverb unit.

I have a real nice point to point, totally home built one for sale, I'll post a photo asap.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Here's the photos of the reverb unit. It was built using Triode Electronics clones of Fenders PT, OT and choke, circuit is an exact Fender copy with carbon comp resistors, Orange drop coupling caps and even a few genuine Victoria Amp caps that I got from Mark at Victoria, known him for years. It also has an additional socket for adding a simple vibrato circuit if you want. The tank is a 9 series, not the 4 so, it is incorrect, get the 4 series. The cab can be added and I'll put some black painted mesh in there for you. Knobs are radio shack and match the cab, sort of. Footswitch jack is not connected, but I can do that if you want. Built using true point to point construction and sounds like it should, has maybe 1 hour use. Only selling because I like building stuff more than I like using it, I am a lousy guitar player. Everything I make sounds way better when someone else plays it!

$465.00 w/o cab plus shipping
$500.00 w/cab plus shipping
If you want the tank, it works but, is not the correct one. Still sounds very good. I will include it.
A Weber kit will set you back $415 and you have to build it. A Fender reissue, on a pcb, goes for over $500. PM me if interested,

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 pm

http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu14 ... ber_photo/

Here's the link with more detailed photos and, more stuff I built.

Rocco

tonetti

Postby tonetti » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Looks great. Ill put some pics of mine when it is finished, we should have it working in a few days.

TwangOmatic

Postby TwangOmatic » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:47 pm

mr. Bill im trying to build a silicone fuzzrite or basically a ashbass clone. could you post a list of the parts you used? Im new to building pedals so far i have only built the shin ei kit from general guitar gadgets so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”