Mosrite replacement pickups

dubtrub
Administrator

Mosrite replacement pickups

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Before when I was searching for Mosrite pickups for my custom build's, I could not find any. Now today searching the internet, I find that my favorite guitar pickup builder 'Seymour Duncan' has Mosrite replacement pickups. They are expensive but they no doubt would be the best. I used Duncan pickups in most all of my Fender guitars. Notice the DC resistance is 8.5 K? That is more in line with the original '66 Ventures Model that I use to own. They were 6.5K, not the 13K of some of the later versions that Semie made.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/c ... mosrite_f/

EDITED: 9-22-08

Since this post periodically resurfaces to the top, I need to add that Ed Elliot, former Mosrite employee and now maker of Mosrite pickups with left over stock he obtained directly from the defunct Mosrite factory, is making and selling Mosrite pickup's on eBay. Additionally Ed is a member of this form and can be contacted directly through our PM 'personal message' system if you would like to purchase from him.

I have personally purchased two sets of his pickup's, one set for six string and one set for bass, plus I had him rewind a dead pickup on my '64 ventures model. His product is the best and is as close to the real deal by Semie Moseley as you can get. He was taught by the expert himself and uses real Mosrite parts.

:arrow: See link here
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Mosrite replacement pickups

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 27, 2008 2:15 pm

That's good to know. Believe it or not, I'm looking for replacements for my Combo. BUT, I'm looking for Humbuckers, and those Hallmarks are starting to look pretty nice w/o me having to spend $500 for a pair of Humbuckers which are on E-Bay in white or black :evil: .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Diceophonic

Postby Diceophonic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:05 pm

I just bought a pair of these last June and they sound killer!
Mosrite Guitar Pickup / E.F.Elliott USA Custom Shop

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:41 am

Diceophonic wrote:I just bought a pair of these last June and they sound killer!

Kyle, where the heck have you been hiding?!? Are his pickups dipped in wax??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Diceophonic

Postby Diceophonic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:04 am

OH I've been around just checking things out ;)

I have compared the E.F.Elliott pickups with a vintage pair and from what I can tell and I ain't no Morsrite expert :lol: but they seem to be identical in construction with NOS pickup covers etc.. and tone with tons of output and volume.

brunob

Postby brunob » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 am

as I have to wait to my brand new Ranger,I would like to know if antbody changed pups on the japanese models and which one nail the 60's sound of Mosrite.
Thanx Bruno :twisted:

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:18 pm

hey all,

a little info for you guys. i don't know if you guys know any of this or not, but here it is just in case. seymour duncan is making mosrite replacement pickups, but they are not wax potted, just like the originals. rio grande also makes a replacement pickup, that are a little hotter and are wax potted. rio grande makes good stuff, but there customer service is TERRIBLE.
but if I were to replace my mosrite pickups, I would go with Tym at Tym's guitars in Australia. you are going to be paying more, but he can make them to what ever specs you want, of any mosrite pickup ever made, even the the original slab body ventures 2 pickups.

but if anyone wants to wax pot there original mosrite pickups, it's SUPER EASY. i'll write a how to on a new trend for everyone.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Diceophonic

Postby Diceophonic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:53 am

brunob wrote:as I have to wait to my brand new Ranger,I would like to know if antbody changed pups on the japanese models and which one nail the 60's sound of Mosrite.
Thanx Bruno :twisted:

My friend IMO these are so close because they use NOS Mosrite parts it doesn't get any closer or better then that!!
check em' out

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:58 am

I just today ordered a pair of Hallmark pups for a MIJ MK 1 copy I won on eBay. I think for the price, ya can't beat 'em.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:51 pm

GattonFan wrote:I just today ordered a pair of Hallmark pups for a MIJ MK 1 copy I won on eBay. I think for the price, ya can't beat 'em.

Hallmark pickups are great sounding pups, however, they do not sound like a Mosrite. I have a set of Hallmarks and set of Ed Elliot Mosrite pup's in a couple of custom built clones and they are day light and dark in comparison. However, I'm glad I have both as it is a great change of flavor. The Mosrite's have a little more bite over all and a very strong 'Strat quack' on the middle settings. I'd say the Hallmark's are a little more mellower and closer to a Gibson P-90 sound. Both are great.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”