MOSRITE MARK I.....MISSING BACKPLATE

warthog50

MOSRITE MARK I.....MISSING BACKPLATE

Postby warthog50 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:44 am

I'm considering a Mosrite Mark I that's for sale and need some advice. It's represented to be a Ventures model that came out just after the Ventures severed their ties with Mosrite in the 60s, so no Ventures logo on the headstock. One thing that's bothering me is that the neck is attached to the body with 3 bolts and no metal backplate. Every other Mark I I've seen has 4 bolts and the metal backplate. Is this kosher or a sign that the guitar isn't what it's said to be???? Thanks for any help.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: MOSRITE MARK I.....MISSING BACKPLATE

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:01 am

Mosrite Mark 1s commonly have the chromed neck plate, however starting around 1967 (after the Ventures model) you will find no neck plate with four screws and some with only three screws.
Danny Ellison

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: MOSRITE MARK I.....MISSING BACKPLATE

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:40 pm

hey,

I know which one you're talking about warthog, and it bothered me as well. I've seen the three bolt versions several times on celebrities and combo models, but this was the first time I remember seeing it on a ventures/mark 1 model.
one thing though, if you remove the neck pickup, some mosrites have additional screws under the pickup going into the body the other way. my mosrites have the 4 bolts and neckplate, but technically speaking the guitar is a 6 bolt neck.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”