Wacky Idea For A Mosrite Bass Project

rcblair

Wacky Idea For A Mosrite Bass Project

Postby rcblair » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Over on another forum someone asked about what an ideal bass would be. My first bass is a Mosrite Ventures and I now use a Modulus Q5 as my "main' bass. I responded that I would like to have a Mosrite body with a Modulus-style graphite neck (original headstock shape of course) in a 5 or 6-string configuration.

The more I think about it the more it seems like something that might be do-able, at least in a 4-string. Moses Graphite makes a 4-string neck and it looks like the headstock could possibly be machined into the Mosrite shape. If I could find a used bass body or have one made I might just try to see if I can put this thing together.

If anyone has any ideas or comments feel free to jump in.

Rick B.
1965 Ventures Model Bass. Original owner. Early 70's bass.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Re: Wacky Idea For A Mosrite Bass Project

Postby olrocknroller » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:40 pm

The real critical item is the fit of the neck into the body... My approach would be to obtain the neck, then have the neck pocket custom-cut into the body. It has to be a snug fit, with the right angle to the body to help create the best resonance.
Olrocknroller

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:33 pm

How about sculpting the body of your Modulus Q5 to resemble a Mosrite body? It won't be 100% but you'll have a one of a kind, a Modulusrite! :geek:

raygun85
Top Producer

Postby raygun85 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:37 pm

We could probably make a Mosrite neck out of graphite. I don't see why not? We had a customer approach us about graphite necks awhile back, he just decided to go with maple in the end. You might could talk to some other custom builders, maybe Ed Elliot would want to tackle it on. We stay pretty busy but if you're not in a hurry we could probably do it.
-matt (M-3 California)
How dare you presume to inject, using reproducible facts and rational thought, an on-topic discussion into a thread that had degenerated from sarcasm, personal invective, and hand-waving arguments?

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:20 am

sounds like a fun project. i've never worked a graphite neck before, but I have with renforcement rods, and they are TOUGH to cut. Not a good material if you want your saw blades to stay sharp, but great for straight necks.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

rcblair

Postby rcblair » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Edward Lopez wrote:How about sculpting the body of your Modulus Q5 to resemble a Mosrite body? It won't be 100% but you'll have a one of a kind, a Modulusrite! :geek:

The Modulus is a beautiful bass that I wouldn't want to modfy. The shape couldn't be modified to look like a Mosrite anyway. Not even close to the same dimensions.

Rick B.

rcblair

Postby rcblair » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:22 pm

raygun85 wrote:We could probably make a Mosrite neck out of graphite. I don't see why not? We had a customer approach us about graphite necks awhile back, he just decided to go with maple in the end. You might could talk to some other custom builders, maybe Ed Elliot would want to tackle it on. We stay pretty busy but if you're not in a hurry we could probably do it.
-matt (M-3 California)

From what I've seen about graphite neck construction it looks like there is a considerable $ investment required to produce them. Molds, vacuum equipment, ovens, etc.

If you were doing a volume business it might make sense but for a single neck that's not the standard Mosrtite scale I'd probably have to sell my house to afford it. :D

I did some measurements yesterday and a standard Fender-type neck isn't going to work for my project. I'm thinking of using a Carvin neck-through neck and trimming it down to fit into a Mosrtite-style bass body.

Rick B.

rcblair

Postby rcblair » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:28 pm

oipunkguy wrote:sounds like a fun project. i've never worked a graphite neck before, but I have with renforcement rods, and they are TOUGH to cut. Not a good material if you want your saw blades to stay sharp, but great for straight necks.

My Modulus is a 1992 model that has no truss rod, so you either like the relief built in or not. I can leave that bass for weeks and it is still in tune when I pick it up. The even tone across strings anywhere on the fingerboard is remarkable.

Rick B.

rcblair

Postby rcblair » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Well our man Kevin (KRamone27) is going to be building a body for me and I'll be using a Carvin bolt-on neck to save a lot of $. I already have a Carvin 5-string and I love the neck so I know I will be happy with the profile. Right now I'm thinking of a birdseye maple fingerboard with Mosrite-shape headstock. Bridge, pickups and pickguard aren't decided yet. The bridge will be determined by the final shape of the body, I haven't decided on front or rear routing for the controls, and I am considering up to 3 pickups.

Rick B.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:02 pm

I'll be heading up to the lumber place this weekend to get the wood for it and a couple other projects and if it's alright to hijack this thread I'll post the progress pics here.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”