How to make a vibramute mold?

mikethemod1992
Valued Member

How to make a vibramute mold?

Postby mikethemod1992 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 am

Does anybody have an idea of the best materials that should be used to make a mold of the Vibramute? Ive got the resign that im going to pour into it for casting. I tried Latex Mold builder, but all that did was strip the paint off the mid section. Also, what sort of paint should be used to fill in the center and "Vibramute" section? Thanks
-Mick

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Re: How to make a vibramute mold?

Postby TerryTNM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 am

I've never made one. But I think I'd look up a foundry near by that could make you a sand casting and pour your mold. I've heard it's not that expensive.
-Terry

raykozi

Postby raykozi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:18 am

I made a mold of a Vibramute using OOMOO silicon rubber from Smooth-On. Very easy to use. I placed the flat bottom surface of the Vibramute on a Formica top. I used Legos to build a "box" around it, about 1" wider on all sides including the top. Wood also works - Legos are easier. You mix Part A and B of the silicon rubber together and then flow it into a corner so it completely covers the Viramute. Once dry, you pull the Vibramute out and you have an exact mold. You can use the same procedure for the arm and the rocker. I bought some very fine steel powder and mixed it into the resin. Once the pieces were buffed they looked identical.

mikethemod1992
Valued Member

Postby mikethemod1992 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 am

Just bought this stuff today
After about 30 minutes it was dry, and i filled the mold with the resign. It overflowed a tiny bit in one part, so i need to cut it a bit after it dries

popp

Postby popp » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:52 am

raykozi wrote:I bought some very fine steel powder and mixed it into the resin. Once the pieces were buffed they looked identical.

Hi rayzoki, I'm not sure if I understand it right... you made a copy of the trem using resin mixed with steel powder? :?
What did you do with the final product? As far as I understand you didn't make a sandcast copy of the trem, right?
Do you have any pics of the process and/or the final product? I'd be very interested in seeing a few photos...

M.

raykozi

Postby raykozi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi popp. No sandcasting involved. I used a high strength clear resin and mixed in a generous amount of very fine steel powder and then poured this goo into a silicon rubber mold of an actual Vibramute. After a couple of days I buffed the pieces out and they looked just like the original, especially the base plate. This was just an experiment and it came out great. I am positive you could use the base plate and probably the rocker on an actual guitar. The trem arm, because it is so thin, would probably snap. Sorry, no pictures.
The pieces are at another location and I won't be back for several months.
-Ray

popp

Postby popp » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Okay, thank you for the info Ray... btw. I realized that I mis-spelled your name :? : sorry for that...

M.

Also sorry for hijacking your thread, Mick... Let's get back to your mold --- any good results?
I am really curious...

mikethemod1992
Valued Member

Postby mikethemod1992 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:31 pm

sure did! And the end result is.....

ImageImageImageImage

mikethemod1992
Valued Member

Postby mikethemod1992 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 pm

popp wrote:
raykozi wrote:I bought some very fine steel powder and mixed it into the resin. Once the pieces were buffed they looked identical.

Hi rayzoki, I'm not sure if I understand it right... you made a copy of the trem using resin mixed with steel powder? :?
What did you do with the final product? As far as I understand you didn't make a sandcast copy of the trem, right?
Do you have any pics of the process and/or the final product? I'd be very interested in seeing a few photos...

M.

and it's all good! Im happy to learn :)

popp

Postby popp » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:10 pm

:D so... what's the next step?

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”