My first build continued 10 years later (Ramones tribute)

Konk of Sweden

My first build continued 10 years later (Ramones tribute)

Postby Konk of Sweden » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:47 am

Back when I was about 17, I loved the Ramones. And loved playing the guitar. I wanted a Mosrite really bad, but they are not very common in Sweden and I didn't have the money to import one. I'd always done alright working with my hands and thought I could try building one instead.
I had a big piece of Mahogany at home, and got it cut down and glued together. Surfing the web I found a nice front view picture and scaled it based on the width of the stuff I knew the dimentions of. I noticed the neck never got scaled right (compared to my other guitars). So I got a neck of eBay. One from a Mosrite Celebrity 3. And saw that the neck was as wide as on my scaled picure. So I Traced the outline and cut out the body. Milled out the pockets for neck, pickups and electronics. Cut out a pickguard and bought pickups. Mounted everything and measured for the bridge. Hmm... The bridge. Where the real problems started... Where do I find a bridge for such a thin neck? Back then, nowhere. eBay prices were out of my league (I was 17 and had already spent $350 on a neck for it). So i put it away and it has stayed there ever since.

Now it's 10 years later. I'm older, wiser (maybe not so much), and I want a Mosrite! Took it out expecting to redo everything because I was young and stupid when I started. But it's quite ok. The body is pretty rough, and painted with one layer of nitrocellulose that didn't come out right, so I started sanding it off. Neck is a beauty exept for the second fret that has gotten loose at one end. I think I can make it work. Might not be the best looking Mosrite Clone ever, but I'll give it a try.

Ok. Some pictures might be in order. Here it is, front and back from when I got it out of storage. I had it in pieces so I had to put it together first, and didn't use all the screws.

First order of business was to buy tuners, and when I did that I found the TR-cover.

It's so light-weight it's scary. Compared to my Les Pauls or any other guitar this weighs nothing. And the balance is amazing. I love it and want to play it.

Next order of business is getting a bridge for it. Luckily Hallmark seems to have bridges that work with Mosrites thin neck, even if their necks are wider. Hopefully those $100 wont be spent on something that won't work.
But if someone has a spare one, original or Hallmark, or something else that works. And can send it to me for less, please let me know.

Updates will come as I make them. Not too many now though, until I get the bridge. Let me know what you think.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: My first build continued 10 years later (Ramones tribute)

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:17 am

Hey, that's cool! I think you won't have problems with the Hallmark bridge. Also, for that loose fret, try super glue (Cyanoacrylate). I had a fret lifting on my parts-rite and a drop of super glue fixed it.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Konk of Sweden

Postby Konk of Sweden » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:51 am

Yeah, the fret I'm not so worried about. Seems to have taken a bit of wood from the fretboard with it when it came loose, but I don't think it will be noticeable when it's in again. Question is if it's better to take it out all the way, bend it back into shape, and put it in again. Or just superglue and clamp it down.

Oh well. Shipping of the bridge should take 2 weeks, so there's time for the other stuff. I need to finish positioning the stop tailpiece and get some good coats of paint on the body. I'd also like to resolder the pickups, pots and jack since I did it at age 17 it's not that good.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Looks great, can't wait to see it finished.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Hey Konk, after ten years ("TEN YEARS AFTER" -a band!) things are shaping up again....Mosrite wise! ;)
You've started another entertaining build-thread for us, thanks and good luck with the parts.

Konk of Sweden

Postby Konk of Sweden » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Well, after checking out all the other threads about people building guitars I must say there are some really talented people hanging out here. I almost feel ashamed of mine to be honest. But If you really want to see it, I will update it when stuff happens. I don't have too high expectations with this guitar. Hopefully it will play well and look ok. And maybe someday I can buy a real Mosrite.

I have a body for a Celebrity 3 in my closet btw, in case anyone is intrested in a backup or project. It came with my neck. No hardware at all though.

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:20 pm

There's nothing to be ashamed of, your guitar looks great. And the fact that you sketched it out from scaled up drawings is pretty cool. Take pride in your work, everybody starts somewhere and that's a good start!

Konk of Sweden

Postby Konk of Sweden » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Yeah. I'm pretty proud of it. Don't get me wrong. It was the first time I ever wanted to make something as good as I could. And sure, today I could do a better job... But today I would never have started it, so I'm glad I did back then.
Someday I'll but it back to back with a real Mosrite Mark II and see how far off the body outline is. I don't think it could be so much. It looks spot on compared to all the pictures and videos I've seen.

Right now I'm trying to get a Swedish musicshop to import a replacement bridge. Looks like a $180-200 expence. But hey, it that's what I have to pay to get it to work after 10 years, that's ok with me. Then I need to put some more paint on it and put it together one last time.

Scotstandard

Postby Scotstandard » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Good start.

It ill be just fine when shes done.
I regret not the things i have done, but the gear i did not buy.
http://www.myspace.com/theonenightstandards
scotstandard@yahoo.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Scotstandard wrote:Good start.

It ill be just fine when shes done.

Agreed! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”