New member - Born & raised in Bakersfield

mamatops

New member - Born & raised in Bakersfield

Postby mamatops » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:23 pm

I can't tell you how excited I was to find this great forum dedicated to Mosrite. I've been on a mission to learn as much about Semie's Mosrite legacy as I can. This forum is truly a one-stop information shop from its well researched historians to the newest buzz on the wire. This forum shows how dedicated, loyal & growing Semie's fan base is. Back in '78 my husband went with his dad to Carson City and he needed a ride home. It was time for a road trip in our '56 Chevy. I got my brother-in-law/mechanic, his girlfriend Dana Moseley and her 4yr old son Brian to join me and my 4yr old son for a mini adventure.
Don't remember the hows or whys I just remember we ended up in Reno just in time to see (and meet) Dana's dad, Semie leaving the chapel with his new bride. Our visit was short but memorable and getting Dana & Brian there was Semie's best gift ever.

We had a great time getting to know each other. The boys had a blast and good memories were made. I haven't seen Dana since 91-92 when I was blessed to share my home with her & her boys. How grateful I am for the greatest gift of all. Brian. Getting to know this well mannered, polite & helpful young man. (most likely a Semie influence) I thank God for the experience of knowing this spirit so bright. Brian's last summer was spent making all our days brighter. Thank you Brian. You are missed.

I got this great email from my son the end of 2008 that said, “I've got info that I know you've been trying to find for as long as I can remember.” with a phone number then "Dana Moseley".
I called. I heard "OMG". We picked up our conversation were we left off so many years ago as if it was yesterday.
Four months have flown way too fast. In January she was moving back & needed to find a place. By Feb. she had a place and she's already building guitars the way daddy did.

I'm heading back to Bakersfield before month end to visit my BFF. It's long overdue. Thanks to this wonderful forum I may be a little worse for wear but I'll be on the same page.

One more thing. I play acoustic guitar. 'Till now I've never been interested in electric guitars. You've got me interested. Looking forward to a new experience waiting for me back home.

A computer is on it's way to Dana. She will soon be posting here even though she'd rather fax.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: New member - Born & raised in Bakersfield

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Welcome to the forum and this world of wonderful guitars! Greetings from Ventura!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:17 am

Wow that's quite a story. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your trip back home.

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:29 am

Welcome to the forum! Mosrite is definetely the right instrument to get interested in if you get interested in electric guitars... :)
This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:57 am

Welcome to the forum. Always good to hear from people like you who have had experiences such as you have just shared. Isn't it great to have the years melt away in the light of strong friendships forged early on? Anyway, welcome - and encourage Dana to jump in as soon as she can.

Dennis

EFElliott
Top Producer

Postby EFElliott » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 am

Hey there Mamatops.

Welcome to the Mosrite Forum!

Eddy Elliott

Bakersfield born and raised too, with a bit of Taft, Ca. on the side.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 am

mamatops wrote:....
One more thing. I play acoustic guitar. 'Till now I've never been interested in electric guitars. You've got me interested.....

Great story! Mamatops, you were so lucky to meet with Semie in person. Not too many of us had that honor.

I started with an acoustic guitar too (I loved to play The Ventures' instrumentals but couldn't afford an electric in the old days) Loved to play songs by Kingston Trio, Brothers Four, Peter, Paul & Mary... just to name a few.. (Love Mama & Papa too)

I started to collect guitars 15 years ago, mainly acoustics, then shifted the gear to electric guitars after a few years. Well, I ended up selling some of my acoustics and own many electric guitars now. As I said, "After 5, there is no return...."

Welcome to our forum!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:21 am

I find it amazing how through Semie and the fruits of his wonderful talent and craftsmanship, strangers (and not-so-strangers) from all over this globe are brought together, all having a common thing or two (or three...) to share with one another because of their love for Mosrite. Thanks to Danny and the team for providing us with a platform so this can -and does happen!

I'm fairly new to Mosrite history but from what I've heard (read) so far, it is not difficult to conclude that Semie’s primary goal in putting into practise that which he loved doing most (…), lay not in gaining material wealth for himself but deriving great pleasure and satisfaction from making beautiful quality instruments and then watching his guitar, yes, coming from his very own hands (!) getting played on by his- and other great guitar players! This I imagine must have made him feel proud as punch.

I’d better keep it short :oops: …there’s plenty more to read and enjoy on this here great forum.

Welcome to the ‘Mosrite family’.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:09 am

Welcome Mamatops!

That's an incredible story! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:54 am

Welcome to the forum Mamatops!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”