New Member- Nice to be here

Elnjay

New Member- Nice to be here

Postby Elnjay » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Hey, first of all Good Evening, and thanks for letting me in!
I'll try and behave! :twisted:

I'll start off by saying I am a BASS PLAYER! and hope to both represent and hear from other
MOSRITE fans and players of the low-end.
In browsing this forum, I haven't seen anything regarding the bass side of things, we'll see what happens--
BTW-certainly am grateful for all you players that choose 6 (or more) strings- You assistance in making music is appreciated! :lol:

Tomorrow-hopefully soon!-
I'll be getting MINE- A Fillmore Ranger Mark I Bass in Sunburst. I'm really enthused about it-
When it comes, I'll post my reaction and also my story of discovering the Mosrite line, etc.

Other than that, I'll tell you all that I'm in the Los Angeles CA area, and of the generation that remembers the Ventures and Mosrite instruments back in the day...

SO thanks again, good to be here among you very knowledgeable fans, and I hope to bring a little bit of a bassist's perspective to the Mosrite mix, as well as hopefully hear from other bass players w/ Mosrites.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: New Member- Nice to be here

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll review your Fillmore bass for us when you get it - is it a single or double pickup model?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Welcome,
When Soundgarden played on Saturday Night Live, the bass player was using a Ventures Pearl White Bass, great video!! Also, I have seen pix of John Entwhistle of the Who with a burst Mosrite bass. They are great instruments with a colorful history. Post pix!!

Mosriteforever!!!

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks-

It's the single pup model; the only (2) versions I could find available by Fillmore were the Ranger (the Ventures Model -stye, with the German Carve and Mosrite pup) and the Mark II (P-Bass) style.

DEFINITELY am planning a detailed review of the instrument-
I caught the bug to get a MOSRITE, and I have a lot of ?'s for the members here as well as wanting to recount my story in finding this instrument.

FWIW- I have (16) Bass Guitars, all fretted-fours- including a '69 P-Bass (awesome!), 2 Gretsch basses, 2 Rics, many more, and I'm not a collector but a player.

I've heard good things from the guitarists about the build/tone etc. of the Fillmore Mosrites, and I have a strong sense that the Fillmore Ranger MK I is going to be a winner.......

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:05 am

Hey Elnjay, BASS PLAYERS are a scarce breed; often unsung but much needed! A good bass player can lift the band right off of the stage… love it! Welcome, good to have you aboard.

Like so many guitarists, I’m yet another high-end player; think it’s just the way it seems to go that when most young budding guitarists want to emulate that cool tune that’s just knocked 'em out (like hearing the Ventures' driving guitars, for the first time in 1962 yeah..) they go for the melody part and perhaps in only relatively few cases only later move away to another instrument.
However I do like the bass part in a band so much that I couldn’t let an absolute bargain slip through my fingers, say two years ago and so… although not a Mosrite, I’m now the proud owner of a second hand black 1978 Fender P. Bass w/maple neck which is cool and I love playing on it now and then.

Hope you like your Fillmore Ranger Mark I Bass when you get it! Pictures are always welcome ;)

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks for the "bass-player love". We deserve it!

While I'm waiting, here's some back-story, mostly to help me kill time during the horrendous waiting period for my Mosrite Bass!

I'm hoping that the UPS truck gets here before it's 7PM deadline-my driver has a habit of making my house last on his route- so I'll post here to help kill the pain, if you don't mind.

The Ventures were in full-swing when I was Junior-High (middle-school) age back in the 'burbs of Chicago- I've been living in SoCal for a long time now...

Along with their brand of instrumental music, I remember them using VERY cool looking guitars and bass- You know who!

As I grew and developed as a player, and went on to work professionally and tour, etc. my basses followed the "standard" route- Fender, Warwick, G&L, Rickenbacker, etc.

As my fortunes increased, and having more $$ and Credit Card limit than restraint, I've begun in the last few years, acquiring instruments that interest and speak to me. No need to explain; that's why these forums exist!

I've recently got much into "retro-style" and throwback-era bass guitars. These include the Gibson SG RI, a Jerry Jones ShortHorn (high-end Danelectro copy), the amazing Ampeg Dan Armstrong RI (built in Japan by Alvarez), and (2) Gretsch basses- the G6128B ThunderJet and the now-discontinued G6145 SpectraSonic.

All fo them coincidentally (except the SpectraSonic at 33" scale) are short-scale basses.

Now along with my surfing the 'net for kicks and giggles, somehow- I forget how exactly- I saw info on MOSRITE, and that was IT- I had to get one-
You all know why, even if you are saddled with the onus af being a guitarist!! :D :evil:

SO- as you know, there are so many versions and models around-
The Wilson Bros, there's some link to "Mosrite" that gives little info but directs to PayPal for their models, Eastwood has a guitar model, and then of course the one and only Ed Roman...

I started having Google translate the Fillmore pages from Japan, and got really interested in them- I know that the quality of Japan-built instruments can be extraordinary. Both of my Gretsch basses as well as my Ampeg ADA4 RI were built in Japan, Gretsch at their Terada factory, and Ampeg built by Alvarez. These basses are awesome.
Really top-end fit and finish, and sound first-rate.

Now I HAD to have one of these- NOW!
I called Ed Roman's shop- even after hearing lots of negativity about the operation and how they do business.
They had in stock the Ranger Mark I model I wanted, a recreation of the Ventures single pup model.
In short, the salesman himself was easy enough to deal with (Not Ed Roman) but frankly, after doing some more research after the fact, they are WAY overpriced- I think I paid a fair amount over what I should have- However:
They HAD the Bass ins stock- I'm not in Japan, I can't imagine what might be involved in shipping/export etc. even if you were able to order on-line from a Japanese vendor.
Now that I'm here, I've read and heard about FrontPorch being a source, spoke with Artie the other day for info- He told me that the Mark I and II basses were all that were available bass-wise, and that an order could conceivably take several months-maybe longer.
His price again WOULD have been appreciably less than Roman's, but, they had the bass in stock.
I'm a "gotta-have-it-now" kind of person, so as we speak the instrument is on a UPS truck; hoping it gets here soon so I can validate the fact that it's a quality instrument that sounds awesome as well.
I have a very good feeling about that...

FWIW, I seriously considered a real Vintage Mosrite and even saw a few nice ones on G-Base- But I'm a new bass afficianado except for my
'69 P-Bass restored to a real "player's" bass condition.

When the Ranger Mark I bass arrives, I'll post my thoughts about it in the Modern Mosrite Section here; and try and get some pics on board.

ANd finally- I think it's great that this forum is here and it's a real trip tp read the posts from you fans of the Mosrite vibe! (even if the vast majority are guitarists! :mrgreen: )

I wasn't aware of the illustrious history of the Mosrite name and legacy, and of all the many operations vying to recreate the instrument and it's vibe.
Wow- the photos of the one Poster's collection (forgot name; sorry) Unbelievable, especially (to me) the Basses! Jeesh!

So to all involved- thanks for the cyber-space and doing what you do-
Very cool!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:29 am

Welcome to the Mosrite forum family.

Since you are just a hop, skip and a jump over the hill from Bakersfield, there is a perfect opportunity for you to meet several of the forum members on May 30th. Take a look at this topic Bill Gruggett benefit show. You will see that world famous Deke Dickerson ( also a member of this forum) will be playing as will be Artie from Front Porch with his band, Ed Elliot of custom Mosrite builder fame and a few of us casuals such as one of our Moderators Mel Waldorf of the MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY and your humble host of this forum.

Looking forward to your review and input of the Mosrite bass and hopefully you can generate more discussions with latent bass players that only visit this forum as guests.
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:01 am

Elnjay wrote:...//...and having more $$ and Credit Card limit than restraint, I've begun in the last few years, acquiring instruments that interest and speak to me...//...I saw info on MOSRITE, and that was IT- I had to get one-...//... NOW! ...//...They HAD the Bass in stock- I'm not in Japan, I can't imagine what might be involved in shipping/export etc. even if you were able to order on-line from a Japanese vendor...

Exactly, I fully agree. Enjoyed your bass story Bass player! nice description of your "restraint" too (or should we say lack of it!) :twisted: ;)
I had a similar urgent 'need' to have 'my Mosrite' NOW (at the beginning of this year) when I stumbled upon HALLMARK guitars on the web and suddenly found what I was looking for –for far too long actually.
The Hallmark 60 Custom has almost all the features I would like to see in a Mosrite. The logo is different of course (headstock decal), but then it is a genuine Hallmark! Another huge difference is the friendly price which quickly drew me over the line in ordering my copy.
Don't regret having made your decision in getting what you wanted even though it was sitting in an 'expensive shop'. Hang in there Elnjay! (you must be loving the sight of every passing UPS truck now, I guess) :D
Cheers, Paul

Elnjay

Postby Elnjay » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:19 am

Danny, the Mosrite event sounds like a blast, and I'll try and make it a point to be there!

I also hope I can incite more Bassists to hang out and consider adding a Mosrite Bass in any of their glorious incarnations to their arsenal. OTOH, I kind of enjoy being among a rare breed!
I can't wait to work this bass with my rhythm section and play out; see what reactions it gets. I've got some amps that are amazing as well..

Thanks for the good wishes, Veenture- Every time I hear a car or truck pass, I run to my window; but I ahve a feeling that delivery is going to be tonight...(And I know this because I've checked the tracking # online about 6 times already..."Out For Delivery")

Yeah, great...WHEN??!!! :lol:

NOTHING like opening that box; especially when i will be beholding a new Fillmore MOSRITE Ranger bass...WOW! :o

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:53 pm

Hey Elnjay,
I feel your pain as far as waiting is concerned. You may be a 'gotta have it now' kinda guy but I have a serious case of ' Gotta have it the day before yesterday ' when it comes to guitars, especially if it's a Friday and I get that sinking feeling it's not going to arrive.

That's the only time I wish the weekend would hurry up and pass so I can get the next week underway and hopefully see my new aquisition turn up on Monday. Why do some weekends drag on so long?

I would be standing guard at the window getting excited as each and every vehicle rolls by until finally that magic moment arrives and you get that beautiful big box in your living room ... and than you rip away at the tape ... and you tear the cardboard to shreds ... and then you see a bit of colour and the shape of a guitar through the inner wrapping ... and then you hold it up to admire and ... and ... excuse me, I have to go order a guitar!

Bill.

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”