Question about my 1966 Ventures

manuelortes

Question about my 1966 Ventures

Postby manuelortes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi, i´ve three mosrite Ventures, one 65 (early 66) original burgundy colour (some people have told me that is a very rare colour) , one 66 sunburst (this the best sounding of the three), and one 67 red (metallic colour) this one is serial number V….
My question is for the 66 sunburst, this have some 65-66 features, pick-ups without the ® on the “mosrite of California”, Mosley bridge without the “PAT num…” on it, it´s the best sounding of the three.
The problem is that the other two have the “the Ventures” logo, and this don´t have the logo (i´ve post some photos).
I´ve tried to investígate about that and some people have told me that when the Ventures broke their contract with Mosrite the logos were added on the guitar shops.
The serial number of the guitar is 3076 ,
Can anybody tell me why this guitar don´t have the logo?.
Thanks.

Bridge

Pick-up

Headstock
1965 Burgundy Mosrite Ventures Guitar
1966 Sburst Mosrite Ventures Guitar
1967 Red Mosrite Ventures Guitar
1966 Red Mosrite Celebrity I Model
1967 Red Mosrite Combo Model
1967 Sburst Mosrite Joe Maphis Double neck
1965 Red Mosrite Ventures Bass

gplayer
Top Producer

Re: Question about my 1966 Ventures

Postby gplayer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:42 pm

I don't have clue...but that's a nice looking Mosrite. Be glad to have it. ;)

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:17 pm

manuelortes wrote:Hi, i´ve three mosrite Ventures, one 65 (early 66) original burgundy colour (some people have told me that is a very rare colour) , one 66 sunburst (this the best sounding of the three), and one 67 red (metallic colour) this one is serial number V….
My question is for the 66 sunburst, this have some 65-66 features, pick-ups without the ® on the “mosrite of California”, Mosley bridge without the “PAT num…” on it, it´s the best sounding of the three.
The problem is that the other two have the “the Ventures” logo, and this don´t have the logo (i´ve post some photos).
I´ve tried to investígate about that and some people have told me that when the Ventures broke their contract with Mosrite the logos were added on the guitar shops.
Can anybody tell me why this guitar don´t have the logo?. Thanks.

First of all, welcome to our forum. Nice Mosrite collection you have.

I am not an expert but have 3 Mosrite guitars: I can share the info i have on these guitars with you.

1965 Ventures Mark II
1966 Ventures Mark I (restored by Danny)
1967 Joe Maphis model

**The pickup cover on all these 3 guitars has a imprint of “mosrite of California ®”
**Only the Mosley bridge on 1967 Joe Maphis model has the “PAT number…” on it. But not on the other two. I believe this was started in late 1966 or early 1967
**1965 Mark II has "Ventures" logo The 1966 Mark I "Ventures" logo was added on during the restoration. (S/N confirms that it was a Ventures model)

Mark II "Ventures' logo

Joe Maphis model

I heard some of the 1966 model came with "Ventures" decal but some didn't. Your looks like a 1966 model. I wouldn't worry too much about the missing ® on pickup covers nor the "Ventures" logo. Some of the newer Japanese copies have "Ventures" logo too. Does that piece of decal make them real "Ventures" models?

You said it sounds the best. That's the most important thing.

Sorry I can't answer all your questions. Maybe someone else here will do that for you.

Again, I am not an expert but hope these info help.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:53 pm

For what it's worth, my Ventures model, serial number 48XX, has the "R" on the pickups and the patent number on the Moseley. It was sold to me as a '66, but I haven't had the neck off to check any dates so maybe it's an early 67.

It's possible your guitar had the Ventures logo left off on special order; there was discussion here of a bass player in a famous band in the 60s (Ron Meagher of the Beau Brummels in 1964) who custom ordered a Ventures model bass without the Ventures logo as he didn't want to advertise for another group.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Surferbette

Postby Surferbette » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:19 am

Just to make things more confused:

Mine has serial number 35xx, so it is a later one than yours but it does not have the truss rod cover so it should be a 65.
It does not have the "R" on the pick ups like yours but has the ventures logo.

Roland

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:05 am

That's the charm of Mosrites..and Semie.. they seem to be consistent in their inconsistencies. :lol:

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 am

gplayer wrote:That's the charm of Mosrites..and Semie.. they seem to be consistent in their inconsistencies. :lol:

That pretty much says it all I guess... :) Welcome to the forum manuelortes! Paul

Brian
Top Producer

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:49 am

Desert Surfer wrote:
manuelortes wrote:Hi, i´ve three mosrite Ventures, one 65 (early 66) original burgundy colour (some people have told me that is a very rare colour) , one 66 sunburst (this the best sounding of the three), and one 67 red (metallic colour) this one is serial number V….
Can anybody tell me why this guitar don´t have the logo?. Thanks.

First of all, welcome to our forum. Nice Mosrite collection you have.

I am not an expert but have 3 Mosrite guitars: I can share the info i have on these guitars with you.

1965 Ventures Mark II
1966 Ventures Mark I (restored by Danny)
1967 Joe Maphis model

**The pickup cover on all these 3 guitars has a imprint of “mosrite of California ®”
**Only the Mosley bridge on 1967 Joe Maphis model has the “PAT number…” on it. But not on the other two. I believe this was started in late 1966 or early 1967
**1965 Mark II has "Ventures" logo The 1966 Mark I "Ventures" logo was added on during the restoration. (S/N confirms that it was a Ventures model)

Mark II "Ventures' logo

Joe Maphis model

I heard some of the 1966 model came with "Ventures" decal but some didn't. Your looks like a 1966 model. I wouldn't worry too much about the missing ® on pickup covers nor the "Ventures" logo. Some of the newer Japanese copies have "Ventures" logo too. Does that piece of decal make them real "Ventures" models?

You said it sounds the best. That's the most important thing.

Sorry I can't answer all your questions. Maybe someone else here will do that for you.

Again, I am not an expert but hope these info help.

Can we see some more pictures of that Mark II?

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Sure. Here are more photos of my Mark II. Thanks to Dennis, the top strap button was replaced with a correct vintage one.

BTW, I just came back from a trip to Taiwan a few days ago. I might have missed a lot action here. I will try to catch up....

Desert Surfer

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Man Vincent, you didn't leave the hula girl on there! Aww man :cry:

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”