1965 Mosrite Ventures Guitar Question

iluvgeetars

1965 Mosrite Ventures Guitar Question

Postby iluvgeetars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Hello, I have a 1965 Mosrite Ventures guitar. I have been viewing some of the posts on this forum regarding body and neck dates. I have taken off the neck and there is no neck or body date on my guitar. Did all 1965 Ventures model guitars have neck and body dates or is that just an occasional circumsatance. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Re: 1965 Mosrite Ventures Guitar Question

Postby Deke Dickerson » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Hey there--

It should be on your fretboard, stamped with a number punch, right at the end of the fretboard where it meets the guitar.

If you still can't find it, post some pictures and I'm sure that the folks on the list will try to help!

Deke

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:40 pm

I guess I should clarify that--the only numbers that Mosrites had on them were the serial numbers, which are stamped in the fretboard at the end where it joints the body.

Mosrite dating is somewhat of an approximate sport--you can guess the date by the cosmetic features (vibramute or Moseley tailpiece, the size of the "Ventures" on the headstock, and so on), and also by the range of serial numbers since during '63-'68 they were fairly sequential.

Hope that helps.

Deke

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:57 pm

The two '66s that I've owned both had a date stamped in the neck pocket as well as on the bottom side of the neck as in the attached photo. I've never had the neck off my '64 so I can not say for sure. My guess would be the stamping of the date inside the neck pocket would be late '65 onward as Semie had gone into mass production with over 100 employees at his Bakersfield P Street factory. Before that time he was building them one at a time and probably the only numbers you will find will be the serial number stamped on the fret board between the 21st and 22nd fret.

Danny Ellison

iluvgeetars

Postby iluvgeetars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks for your guys help. I knew they had serial numbers on the end of the fretboard which I can make out on mine. I just took my neck off and did not see any date marks in either the neck pocket or the backside of the neck. After reading some posts on the forum, I noticed that some were dated in both of these areas. My neck pocket has a paint stick mark very similar to that of a Fender from the mid 1960s but no dates. I appreciate everyones input and I thanks for the pics dubtrub.

Return to “Mosrite Guitars & Basses Vintage USA”