Mosrite Made in Japan

dubtrub
Administrator

Mosrite Made in Japan

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 20, 2008 8:47 am

It was my understanding that Mosrite guitars were no longer made in Japan due to trademark copyright legalities. However, when I search the internet, I still find Mosrite guitars website indicating they are available in Japan. So my questions are,

1. Do they still make Mosrite guitars in Japan using the Mosrite name?

2. If Mosrites are still being made in Japan by various companies, what happened with the Mosrite copyright lawsuit?

3. What is status with Ed Roman and his made in USA Mosrite guitars?

4. What is the story on the Mosrite US, where Loretta Moseley is in depicted on the website stating Mosrite is still being made?

5. If Mosrites are still being made in Japan, how does one purchase one? I have a friend here on the forum Curnla, that would like to buy one.

Any information to any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.
Danny Ellison

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: Mosrite Made in Japan

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 20, 2008 9:46 am

dubtrub wrote:It was my understanding that Mosrite guitars were no longer made in Japan due to trademark copyright legalities. However, when I search the internet, I still find Mosrite guitars website indicating they are available in Japan. So my questions are,

1. Do they still make Mosrite guitars in Japan using the Mosrite name?

2. If Mosrites are still being made in Japan by various companies, what happened with the Mosrite copyright lawsuit?

3. What is status with Ed Roman and his made in USA Mosrite guitars?

4. What is the story on the Mosrite US, where Loretta Moseley is in depicted on the website stating Mosrite is still being made?

5. If Mosrites are still being made in Japan, how does one purchase one? I have a friend here on the forum Curnla, that would like to buy one.

Any information to any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Danny

I am not an expert (Arpsum is) but I will try to reply what I know (or what I speculate )

I don't want to repeat how Fillmore got his right to own Mosrite name in Japan... I presume everyone knew and I prefer not to get into that subject.

I think most of the non-Fillmore Mosrites being sold on line were made before Fillmore / Kurokumo lawsuit in early 2000's (at least they all claim so) There are still a lot Fillmore Mosrites on sales in Japan and in the US (Ed Roman's)

Fillmore lost the case in Japanese Court a few months ago so the new chapter may begin soon....From the Mosrite USA website, Loretta obviously has some kind of business relationship with that company. I think they still have some issues to resolve. I have not seen any official announcement saying they own the "Mosrite" trade name. In the meantime, Fillmore Mosrites are still being sold at Ed Roman's.

I have not seen any USA made Mosrites at Ed Roman's. (probably custom orders only?) I don't know how many were made at his shop as I am not interested in getting one anyway.

The best place to buy a Japanese Mosrite is probably on eBay or order directly from Japanese retailers (need to add shipping, duty and aggravation...) Fillmore Rangers are being sold at Ed Roman around $1500 (you may be able to negotiate down a little) I saw one time they were sold at $899 which is excellent price. (again, add shipping, duty etc...)

Hope this help.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 20, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks for your input Desert Surfer,

Although some may already know about the various difficulties over the legalities or copyright ownership, or some of the various Mosrite made in Japan histories, it is my hopes that eventually all this type of information will be chronicled on this website and archived to be readily available by using the search feature for all new members joining the Mosrite forum. I would like to see this forum become the source of information for any and all things pertaining to Mosrite. Think of it as building a Mosrite library. That dream can eventually be accomplished if we can get everyone contributing their knowledge.
Danny Ellison

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue May 20, 2008 11:36 am

Is Loretta, who I assume now owns the name again, going into business with Fillmore? She talks about the guitars being available again in the video. Is she talking about Fillmore Mosrites? And what happens to Ed Roman in all this?
She (and her manufacturing partner) will have to do something about the pricing. I priced a '63 Sidejack (Fillmore made) reissue out of Japan, yesterday: $4990.69, and its basswood. For five grand I would expect nitro finish on select alder at least! I don't expect they would be cheap, but this is getting a bit out of touch with reality and who their market is.
Talked to Bob Shade yesterday--next year ('09) he will have a sidejack version of the 60 Custom, and he assured me it will not even be close to 5 grand.
I would love to have an "official" Mosrite, but not at a price only a Japanese businessman can afford.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Is Loretta, who I assume now owns the name again, going into business with Fillmore? She talks about the guitars being available again in the video. Is she talking about Fillmore Mosrites? And what happens to Ed Roman in all this?
She (and her manufacturing partner) will have to do something about the pricing. I priced a '63 Sidejack (Fillmore made) reissue out of Japan, yesterday: $4990.69, and its basswood. For five grand I would expect nitro finish on select alder at least! I don't expect they would be cheap, but this is getting a bit out of touch with reality and who their market is.
Talked to Bob Shade yesterday--next year ('09) he will have a sidejack version of the 60 Custom, and he assured me it will not even be close to 5 grand.
I would love to have an "official" Mosrite, but not at a price only a Japanese businessman can afford.

On the contray, I think Loretta went with Fillmore's competitor. I don't think she owns the name (in Japan). If Mosrite US makes Mosrites in the future, they will probably not be from Fillmore. I think, most likely, they will be made by Kurokumo. (for wood parts anyway)

Ed Roman's Fillmore Mosrites are usually overpriced. A good 63' Japanese sidejack copy should be under $3000 (Royal or Custom) Royal is in lacquer finish while Custom is in polyester finish, both with boned body, set in glue on neck. Most of them were made by Kurokumo. The quality is excellent.

My feeling is that there are not going to be any "official" Mosrite regardless who owns the name because Mr. Semie is gone.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue May 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Thanks for the reply, Desert Surfer.
Is Kurokomo the manufacturing company behind the Excellent line (like the Royal and Custom)?

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Thanks for the reply, Desert Surfer.
Is Kurokomo the manufacturing company behind the Excellent line (like the Royal and Custom)?

Yes, they are also called Black Cloud or Dark Cloud. I have two Mosrite clones made by them. (I posted photos on the other thread) Quality is excellent and plays, sounds exact like the real McCoy (1966 Ventures Model)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 20, 2008 6:17 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Is Loretta, who I assume now owns the name again, going into business with Fillmore? She talks about the guitars being available again in the video. Is she talking about Fillmore Mosrites? And what happens to Ed Roman in all this?

:shock: :shock: "Paging Mr. Arpsum-Paging Mr. Arpsum."
"Please report to the Mosrite Forum. Paging Mr. Arpsum"..... :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote: :shock: :shock: "Paging Mr. Arpsum-Paging Mr. Arpsum."
"Please report to the Mosrite Forum. Paging Mr. Arpsum"..... :mrgreen:

From information that I received, Mr. Arpsum has elected to no longer participate on our forum. That is most unfortunate as he is definitely a good source for information regarding foreign made Mosrite guitars and amps, and was in the past a great contributor on another forum about Mosrite's.

Hopefully another Mosrite enthusiast that has some knowledge of Mosrite Japan, or where ever they were, are or will be made ,will step forward and participate here.

I'm guessing now, but my suspicion would be that possibly Loretta may have won the legal rights to the Mosrite name, but I'd suspect that the case is being appealed by the loser, therefore production cannot yet begin on the supposedly 'US made Mosrite's' which will no doubt be manufactured on foreign soil.
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Here's a link to Mosrite 'Black Cloud' made in Japan guitars. It will give you a chance to drool.

........and Fillmore Mosrite's.

Want a beautiful screen saver image? Left click on any one of the pictures on the Fillmore guitars. It will enlarge the image, then right click your mouse and select the option 'save as background'. I select a different image every week.

Here is my favorite. blue Mosrite Be sure to click on it to enlarge it before setting as a 'wall paper' screen saver.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”