CLONE WARS!

juan_10
Valued Member

Re: CLONE WARS!

Postby juan_10 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:10 am

I finally got a friend's camera .. here's my clone! A ranger and a mince pie :-) Hope the holidays are going well for everyone!
Juan

rballister

Postby rballister » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks for the reply about the frets--I've only handled one actual vintage Mosrite. (I believe it was a Mark V--saw it in the NYC Guitar Center). The frets appeared to be very narrow and filed down flat. Made me wonder how that kind of fret would impact on your playing over the long haul.

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:56 pm

rballister said, about Mosrite speed frets:
>>The frets appeared to be very narrow and filed down flat. Made me wonder how that
>>kind of fret would impact on your playing over the long haul.

I have been playing a 1972 Mosrite Celebrity for the last month, and my take on the speed frets issue is that it takes a light touch, which luckily I already had, and a more precise touch, which I needed to work on.

The '72 version of the speed fret may not be what the '60s version was, though.

It took me two or three days before I was comfortable playing the Mosrite.

It seems to me that one has to be more careful about exactly where your finger is going to hit the string in relation to the fret, because the low fret is pretty unforgiving. You either nail the note or you don't. This may be what folks mean when they say that it is tough to bend on a Mosrite with speed frets.

One does have to be more precise and aware of noting the string exactly.

I am using flatwound D'Addario ECG23 Chrome Extra Lights (.010/.048) on the Celebrity and also on the Hallmark Stradette and Hallmark 60 Custom and they are super-comfortable to play. Anything lighter gave me trouble with bending sharp or flat unintentionally when making chords.

Having said that, the folks I play with have all said that I seem to be playing more accurately using the Mosrite. Is that me being more careful or is the neck affecting my playing in a positive way? I can't say.

I confess to having neglected the two Hallmarks since getting the Celebrity, but I wanted to get used to the speed frets. I hope to remedy that this weekend!!!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 am

Great report Jim, thanks ;)

rynaro
Top Producer

Postby rynaro » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 pm

This is a custom Tym guitar "wosrite versatone deluxe" for J Mascis (Dinasaur Jr) in his fav colour purple.
there is another cool pic i can't find online of tym handing the guitar to J
-R
Tym Sweeping Wing Jr #Z0094 (murph trem & mastery bridge)/ Tym vibratone #A0080 (jag trem/pickups)>Heaps of pedals>Vox AC15HW
http://www.facebook.com/tenderbones
https://tenderbones.bandcamp.com
http://ryanlhumphreys.bandcamp.com

paulscape

Postby paulscape » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:49 am

Just picked this up for $25. Have no idea what brand it is or what vintage just that its old and made in japan obviously. Ive since polished it, awaiting a new bridge and electronics, probably pickup replacement and then I cant wait to play! It looks real dusty in these iphone pics but has polished up quite nicely. I really like the darker pick guard.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:58 am

paulscape--the Mosrite copy is most likely Japanese, maybe a Guyatone, '60's or early-'70's. It looks a lot like ones that were marketed here in the US as Univox Hi-Flyers. The Univox name was owned by Unicord, a US distributor, so those were likely offered under different brand names (or none) overseas. The bridge base is identical to the one on my first electric, a St. George made in Japan by Kawai or Teisco circa 1964, but I think your guitar is later than that.

paulscape

Postby paulscape » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:59 am

jfine wrote:paulscape--the Mosrite copy is most likely Japanese, maybe a Guyatone, '60's or early-'70's. It looks a lot like ones that were marketed here in the US as Univox Hi-Flyers. The Univox name was owned by Unicord, a US distributor, so those were likely offered under different brand names (or none) overseas. The bridge base is identical to the one on my first electric, a St. George made in Japan by Kawai or Teisco circa 1964, but I think your guitar is later than that.

Thanks mate - its definately japanese as it says made in japan on the back of the neck bolt and it looks identical to all the guyatones Ive seen, particularly the neck, pick guard colour and screw location. If you check out my post in the introduction page I draw in a quick 'G' where there is some remanent glue left over and it matches the large 'G' found on early guyatones.

I picked it up from a japanese guy here in shanghai.

Any idea how hard it is to pick up a new bridge? They are smaller in width to a normal LP bridge. Im hoping I can use a replacement jag or mustang bridge or something similar.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”