Mosrite Avenger Bridge Replacment?

dagogo

Mosrite Avenger Bridge Replacment?

Postby dagogo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:44 am

Hi all, while I have loved owning a genuine Mosrite, arthritis has made it difficult to cope with its slim neck and speed frets. Not wanting to refret an original, I decided I to sell and go the clone route....so I recently purchased a firstman clone with the intention of refretting.

The guitar was advertised (here in fact, it's the sunburst one recently listed) as plug and play with a new set up etc. Upon trying it out, the "A" string was partially damped and would not ring freely. I took it to a local guy, he adjusted a backbow in the neck but the playability didn't really improve. Then we noticed there is actually movement in the individual saddles. You can bend a string and in some cases, watch the saddle move 1/8". Then we noticed someone put clamshell packaging type plastic material under the saddles to shim.

Does anybody know if this a known/standard bridge problem with the Firstman's or if it may be repairable?

If there is a replacement roller bridge available, that would be another option (and be fine), but the bridges I found on the internet all have different mtg hole spacings. This guitar's mtg hole centers are approximately 71mm.

It is unfortunate as the fuller neck, body, & electronics on this guitar are just what I was looking for. As is the guitar essentially unplayable.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Mosrite Avenger Bridge Replacment?

Postby Greg_L » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:12 am

dagogo wrote:Hi all, while I have loved owning a genuine Mosrite, arthritis has made it difficult to cope with its slim neck and speed frets. Not wanting to refret an original, I decided I to sell and go the clone route....so I recently purchased a firstman clone with the intention of refretting.

The guitar was advertised (here in fact, it's the sunburst one recently listed) as plug and play with a new set up etc. Upon trying it out, the "A" string was partially damped and would not ring freely. I took it to a local guy, he adjusted a backbow in the neck but the playability didn't really improve. Then we noticed there is actually movement in the individual saddles. You can bend a string and in some cases, watch the saddle move 1/8". Then we noticed someone put clamshell packaging type plastic material under the saddles to shim.

Does anybody know if this a known/standard bridge problem with the Firstman's or if it may be repairable?

If there is a replacement roller bridge available, that would be another option (and be fine), but the bridges I found on the internet all have different mtg hole spacings. This guitar's mtg hole centers are approximately 71mm.

It is unfortunate as the fuller neck, body, & electronics on this guitar are just what I was looking for. As is the guitar essentially unplayable.

Maybe try a Hallmark bridge. The saddles lock down from the bottom.

Johnny-Alien

Re: Mosrite Avenger Bridge Replacment?

Postby Johnny-Alien » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Hallmarks have a much flatter fretboard radius that a traditional Mosrite. If the Firstman has a 10" radius like a Mosrite then the Hallamark would not be a good fit even if the other measurements worked out.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”