1970s Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2: P-90 Soap bar Adjustment Help Needed

UnivoxHiFlierPhase2

1970s Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2: P-90 Soap bar Adjustment Help Needed

Postby UnivoxHiFlierPhase2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Hello fellow guitar enthusiasts. I hoping you can help me optimize my vintage P-90 pickups. Since my Univox guitar was a knockoff the Mosite, I figured I would post my problem here.

I have a 1973 Univox Hi-Flier guitar with soap bar style P-90 pickups. The pole pieces do NOT have screw driver slots and are set at oddly varying heights (as measured from base of pole piece to top of pole piece in inches), from low E to high E: .045, .015, .045, .045, .015, .015.

When playing the guitar, the higher pole pieces make the low E, G, B strings sound loud, and the other strings quieter.

Was this done intentionally by design?

Is there a way to adjust the pole piece heights?

Thanks for your help!

Frank

** Note - if you can't see the pictures .. please right click to view ... this is my first post and don't know why I they don't show in the message **

panther
Top Producer

Re: 1970s Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2: P-90 Soap bar Adjustment Help Needed

Postby panther » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:15 am

Can't bring up the photos.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:10 am

Tip: You link the photos by (f your browser supports this) right-clicking on the images themselves once they're uploaded and then selecting "Copy Image Address" and pasting that between the [img] brackets. Here you go.

I never had a Univox Hi Flyer. I'd suggest you try switching the pickups out for replica pups that sound about the same but are adjustable; I don't know if these are commercially available aside from taking some out of an Eastwood Hi Flyer and even those may not be correct. Your best bet might be winding your own pickups as long as you have the right wire and magnets. I don't know which wire or magnets these used, though.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:36 am

I have a Phase One and I don't have these problems, possible that they changed construction of the pickups but who knows.

Does adjusting the height of one side of the pickup help correct this problem for you? I would give it a shot. While not perfect it saves you from having to swap things around.

Otherwise you could always swap out pickups. I'm sure any P-90 or Mosrite pickup will fit without issue.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:34 pm

My attempt at posting the photos didn't work. Quote the main post then copy and paste the links to the browser to see them.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

UnivoxHiFlierPhase2

Postby UnivoxHiFlierPhase2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I do not want to switch out the original pickups since I've had this guitar for 40 years (ouch!). I've adjusted the height of the pickups as a whole assembly like Gonkulator suggested, but it doesn't really do the full trick. I just got a StewMac catalog and there is a photo of Golden Age Pickups for the Tele that shows solid poles (no screwdriver slot) like mine with the G and D strings noticeably higher than the other 4 strings. I'm starting to think that my pickups were designed the way they were and are not adjustable.

Paste link below into browser to see what I'm talking about (can't get the inline images to work):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k7Snr ... cozDJO3BMH

Thanks,
Frank

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”