Say what?

mosman
Top Producer

Say what?

Postby mosman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:04 am

I'm kinda embarrassed to ask this but here goes.
Although I've seen Semie Moseley's name in print a zillion times here in Australia,I've always wondered how Semie is actually pronounced. Whenever I hear anyone say his name here it's always pronounced 'Semmy'. Is that correct or is it 'Seemy'.
If you guys are rolling your eyes at that, you should know that everyone here says 'Mozzrite'
instead of 'Moze-rite'.I called them Mozzrites for so many years, I find it hard to say the name properly– but I am trying.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Say what?

Postby dubtrub » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:18 am

Pronounce it Simmy like Jimmy and Moz (with a long oh) Rite.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 am

mosman wrote:I'm kinda embarrassed to ask this but here goes.
Although I've seen Semie Moseley's name in print a zillion times here in Australia,I've always wondered how Semie is actually pronounced. Whenever I hear anyone say his name here it's always pronounced 'Semmy'. Is that correct or is it 'Seemy'.
If you guys are rolling your eyes at that, you should know that everyone here says 'Mozzrite'
instead of 'Moze-rite'.I called them Mozzrites for so many years, I find it hard to say the name properly– but I am trying.

You know?? I too, am guilty of this. I knew the pronunciation was MoZe-rite, but for some
reason or another, I too have always pronounced it Mozz-rite. I just assumed that it was one
of those, "Oh, I live in the South." :mrgreen: So, to this day, I still mispronounce the name.
It's kind of hard to change after saying it that way for so many years :oops: . But for the
record, I do pronounce Semie as Simmy ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks for the info guys. The other day I was talking to a guy who runs a guitar shop here in Sydney and when I told him they're pronounced Moze-rite, his response was something along the lines of " I'm afraid I've been calling them Mozzrites for too long now so that's what they'll always be to me."
I know how he feels.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:11 pm

mosman wrote:Thanks for the info guys. The other day I was talking to a guy who runs a guitar shop here in Sydney and when I told him they're pronounced Moze-rite, his response was something along the lines of " I'm afraid I've been calling them Mozzrites for too long now so that's what they'll always be to me."
I know how he feels.

Ditto on "I know how he feels." To me IMHO, Mozzrite has a more Authoritative Sound
to it. But again, that's just me, although it is incorrect. :|......oh well............ :roll:

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:16 pm

So, does this mean we have to pronounce Fuzzrite as Fuze-rite? :)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Easy way to remember:

Semie's last name was Moseley = Mose-ley

His minister and financial backer when he first started building guitars in the '50s was named Ray Boatright. Semie got the last part of the name Mos'rite by combining his and Ray's last names. Hence, Mose- right or shortened and combined to = Mosrite
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:26 pm

MWaldorf wrote:So, does this mean we have to pronounce Fuzzrite as Fuze-rite? :)

Fuze-rite? That sounds a little "short" to meImage...................... :mrgreen:

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 pm

While on the subject,where does the name Semie come from.I've never heard it before and I've wondered if it's actually short for something else.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:51 pm

Semie was born in Durant Okalahoma which at that time was part of the old Seminole Indian reservation. According to Andy, Semie's brother, their father named Semie as a 'nick name' derived from the place he was born. It is unlikely there is another person named Semie on this earth. Semie was his true name.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Off Topic”