RED, WHITE, and BLUE, but it ain't a TELE

Dennisthe Menace

RED, WHITE, and BLUE, but it ain't a TELE

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:52 pm

I stumbled onto this while looking for something else that I'm searching for. You'll see Buck Owens playing it with the Time Clock starting at 0:09 to 0:21. And I also found one of Buck playing an all Natural finish. Not sure if it was the same guitar in which it might of been refinished in the traditional R,W, and B by Gene Moles......Unfortunately, I can not tolerate
"Corny Humor." :|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtKiZVhwxxo
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: RED, WHITE, and BLUE, but it ain't a TELE

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:35 pm

That was Harmony Buck Owens Acoustic flat top made in 1969. Since the trade name "Harmony" was acquired by an importers or overseas exporters, this model has been made overseas and are on sales at Buck Owens Museum in Bakersfield. (Danny took me there last year, thanks Danny) If I remember right it was on sales for $400? If I collect this guitar, I would be interested in the original Harmony, not the imported version. BTW, I love Roy Clark.

I have a guitar hand made by Mr. Bill Gruggett (the legend who worked in Mosrite factory as Semie's right hand man). It has a similar flavor. It is a 2005 Custom Stradette (#007) marketed by Hallmark comapany.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:54 pm

Yeah, I hear you Vincent, but this one's the Mosrite. I double checked before I posted this. Just about all the OWENS Videos have the Harmony. I FROZE the frame at 0:11 and blew the pic up, and you can definitely see where it says Mmosrite on the Headstock. This one also has the "M" indentation on the Headstock, and the soundhole is more towards the middle of the body (typical on the "Serenade" Model). On the Harmony, the binding went all the way around the Headstock as well, but did not have the "M" cutout. The Harmony also had 3 WHITE STARS on the Headstock where the Mosrite Logo would of been. I wish I knew how to blow the pic up, and put it here.... :oops:
p.s. Just checked the VIDEO again. The Pickguard is a DEAD CLONE of the "Serenade." ;)

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:11 am

I heard that the original Buck Owen Blue/White/Red model was a Harmony Sovereign Jumbo painted with a red white and blue stripe.

But thie one in videa might have been a Mosrite which Buck painted it over.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:47 am

The prototype for what would become the Harmony Buck Owens model was indeed a Mosrite, and I think Dennis just found it. Haven't you ever noticed that the pickguard shape on the Harmony version just screams Mosrite? Well, there ya go...

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:18 pm

dorkrockrecords wrote:The prototype for what would become the Harmony Buck Owens model was indeed a Mosrite, and I think Dennis just found it. Haven't you ever noticed that the pickguard shape on the Harmony version just screams Mosrite? Well, there ya go...

Here's one more I found with the "M" carved Headstock, "Mosrite" on the Headstock,
not the 3 white stars that we usually see, but I would like to find a "Head On" Pic of the Mosrite :roll: .

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:38 am

Now that Hee Haw is back on RFDTV you can see Buck playing the Mosrite. In fact he is seen playing 2 Mosrite's through out the show. Both flat tops and 1 is the red whit and blue guitar. The show was started with the first one made and is running in order from that to the end. (so they say) I don't care for all their corn in it but do enjoy the music it has. I am just a country boy from NYS.
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Return to “Off Topic”