How about a Mosrite trade show/convention?

Would you be supportive of a Mosrite Trade Show/Convention

Yes
78%
No
4%
Maybe
17%

Total votes: 23

dubtrub
Administrator

How about a Mosrite trade show/convention?

Postby dubtrub » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:29 am

I placed this poll here in this section rather than the Off Topic forum due to some people not reading the other forums.

This is something I've been thinking about for a couple of years, so I thought I would kick the idea around here on the forum to get some additional feedback. I know many of us here on the forum are spread all around the globe and I don't expect the biggest turnout to come from members of this forum. I would not base a decision to promote such an event solely on the reliance of members of this forum. However your support would greatly be encouraged and please feel free to express your ideas, desires and or concerns.

Since Bakersfield is the home of the original Mosrite, I think it would be great to hold a Mosrite guitar and trade show or convention here. My thoughts are to rent a conference room (not a convention hall) at one of the better hotels or other accommodating place with easy access to hotel/motel/dining facilities. Contact every possible venue I can think of to advertise the event, especially those places that offer free advertisement, music stores, forums, some news papers entertainment section etc. Contact any and everybody that would contribute by bringing their Mosrite items for display, sale or trade.

The show would basically be a static display convention consisting of everything related to Mosrite. This would consist of items closely related to Mosrite such as Hallmark, Standels, Clones, amplifiers, effects, parts, accessories, photographs, brochures and anything else that could be tied with the history of Mosrite. Musicians/band playing would also be an added attraction. Maybe consider it a 50 year commemoration of the Mark 1 design.

I know this would entail a major effort to organized the promotion and pull this off, but it could be the beginning of a reoccurring event. When I discussed this with a couple friends it was mentioned to keep it small and simple the first time. That is the safe way to do it, but not necessarily the what I had in mind. I see it as an opportunity to make it a major event that would blow the mind of a Mosrite enthusiast. If it is a great event the first time, it would only get better the next time. If people are going to travel long distances to attend they don't want to waste their time and expense on a half organized event.

This is not something that is going to happen soon, but it would be nice to have it sometime in the fall of '09.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: How about a Mosrite trade show/convention?

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:46 pm

I think a convention is a great idea. It could be really special if we can manage to get some Mosrite luminaries to come, maybe Nokie Edwards, or folks that built the guitars over the years. I wonder if any of our members here who speak Japanese could gauge interest in this idea over there.

As a teaser of what's possible, I had the opportunity to pass through Bakersfield on my way back from the gigs last weekend and visited Danny. Here's a picture of the collected "conventioneers" It sure would be nice to get a big gathering going!

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:35 am

In a brief email correspondence with Artie at Front Porch Music, he has offered his store to host the event. His reasoning was he wouldn't have so much stuff to move. I really think his collection of 'everything' would be the highlight of things to see. My biggest concerned would be enough room for others to bring their items for display. Feedback?
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:30 am

dubtrub wrote:In a brief email correspondence with Artie at Front Porch Music, he has offered his store to host the event. His reasoning was he wouldn't have so much stuff to move. I really think his collection of 'everything' would be the highlight of things to see. My biggest concerned would be enough room for others to bring their items for display. Feedback?

Danny, that's awfully nice of Artie to offer his location for "the Show." I am not sure what response you might be looking for though as far as 'how much room' there is in the store. I (and possibly other members) are not that familiar with how big the store is. We only have limited PIX to go by, so probably you and a few others would only know how much room might be needed. This would also include how many will be attending, and how many of their guitars they would be bringing (if more than one) will all come into play here.....Did Artie happen to mention how much space would be available?? And again, I'm only guessing by the PIX we have available on the Forum from Desert Surfer's posts....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:55 am

Yeah! Danny, we talked about this last year even before the forum started. I am glad it may be happening (at least start brainstorming discussion now)

Sure, I am all for it. I should be able to talk Nokie into participating it. I would also encourage him to set up a few Guitar Clinic. He needs the money too.

We must try to attract fans in Japanese European, Australia and other countries. Hope Ten and other foreign countries' members can help us for that. We can offer these fans/tourists some kind of tour in Bakersfield. (like the one Danny gave me and my wife last year, but include a surf concerts with Nokie as special guest etc...), then an optional or bonus tour to Las Vegas. (visit Ed Roman's custom shop etc.) Some of them can even go to Grand Canyon etc....

Personally, I feel that we need a bigger space, maybe a meeting room at hotel or school gym. Artie can display a few of his Mosrites there but offers tours from showsite to his store a few time during the show. Danny, if you want other people to display, you need a neutral place. That's just my opinion.

The other big issue will be dollars and cents. We need to work out an estimated budget plan.

We shall discuss more.

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:10 pm

I thought I saw a big vacant lot next to Artie's store. I wonder if that space could be used for bands, vendors, etc. It seems like a good location for an outdoors street-festival type of event.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Another route to consider is to invite other vintage stores to bring their Mosrites. If you live in another country and want to buy a vintage Mosrite, wouldn't it be great to have as many as possible to try in one place? And if you're a store with a few Mosrites, wouldn't this be a show worth travelling to? We might be able to reach a critical mass this way.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 am

I think this idea is incredible and would love to attend for the following reasons:

1) I want a Mosrite and am still looking. The display and sales at such a convention could expand my possibilities to find the ONE.
2) Listen to live-music.
3) Get to travel and see, meet some of you nerds ;-).
4) Learn, learn and learn more about the Mosrite world.

I've been travelling from coast to coast in the US before and have seen some amazing attractions. Only been to San F. in California though so I'd explore the State a bit more.

However, I voted 'maybe', because a trip like this would cost a fortune......!

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun May 10, 2009 6:56 pm

I voted yes. 8-)
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sun May 10, 2009 7:21 pm

I would love to attend, it would all depend on my playing schedule and the cost of travel at the time of the event. It's a long way from NYS to Bakersfield Calf.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Return to “Off Topic”