I'm alive everybody!!

KRamone27
Master Contributor

I'm alive everybody!!

Postby KRamone27 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Last Friday May 8th there was a major wind storm that came through Southern Illinois blowing down trees, power lines and cause an amazing amount of damage to homes and business. And of course my house was included in the deal. There were three trees in my yard and every single one of them were uprooted one of which fell and took out the corner of my house, broke two windows, and the wind blew away some soffit and facia off the house as well. Since Friday I've been without power and water until Tuesday night at 10:00 pm. It's been a really bust week for my wife and me as we were trying to get the trees cut up and cleared away, yard picked up and lots of debris and clutter. We had to throw away a crap load of food from our freezer and fridge and live off of the Red Cross truck. I'm just really tired and drained and hope to start on a new guitar project and get things back to normal. Kevin

dellison

Re: I'm alive everybody!!

Postby dellison » Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Wow Kevin, that doesn't sound like fun at all! I glad that everyone is okay, everything else can get fixed!

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 13, 2009 6:54 pm

KRamone27 wrote:Last Friday May 8th there was a major wind storm that came through Southern Illinois blowing down trees, power lines and cause an amazing amount of damage to homes and business. And of course my house was included in the deal. There were three trees in my yard and every single one of them were uprooted one of which fell and took out the corner of my house, broke two windows, and the wind blew away some soffit and facia off the house as well. Since Friday I've been without power and water until Tuesday night at 10:00 pm. It's been a really bust week for my wife and me as we were trying to get the trees cut up and cleared away, yard picked up and lots of debris and clutter. We had to throw away a crap load of food from our freezer and fridge and live off of the Red Cross truck. I'm just really tired and drained and hope to start on a new guitar project and get things back to normal. Kevin

Kev, It's good to know that you guys are OK.......
Be glad that that is all that happened. I know you're probably not thinking about this at the moment due to all the crap you got to take care of, but when you and the Mrs get a chance to come up for air, be glad that the both of you are safe....materialistic things can be replaced, but human life can not. I don't want to start sounding 'corny,' but just be glad that the things that were damaged or lost, can be replaced.........
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed May 13, 2009 7:29 pm

It's good to hear you're both OK! I had a similar experience when I was five years old. While playing in the living room with my grandmother a bolt of lightning came through a window, Went over out heads and then out another window and then hit a tree, Causing some limbs to split off and pull down a power or telephone line. It may not have done as much damage but the point is, It could have just as easily hit either of us if we were standing up. :shock:
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed May 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Lucky me! I was in Vegas that day! Our area wasn't too bad, I guess. I did not see too much damages here. (or they might have been cleaned up already)

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu May 14, 2009 12:08 am

Holy cow! Glad to hear you are safe. Nature's fury is a terrifying thing.

So, was any of the wood from the trees salvagable for guitars - how cool would that be?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu May 14, 2009 1:44 am

Hey Kevin, that's terrible. Glad to hear you're both OK. Nature sure knows no favouritism when blasting away. :( Here in Holland we're always fighting to keep the sea at bay (pun not intended) although I don't notice it. Storms could get pretty bad here too but hurricanes are much more severe and devastating in the US. Wish you all the strength and motivation in getting back to normal again after being so rudely interrupted. Hope your doing ok job-wise too! ;)

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Thu May 14, 2009 2:21 am

Glad everyone is OK. Living in Florida, I can relate to strong winds and living without power for days at a time. * remembers 2004*. It's always good to have emergency provisions, in the way of non-perishable goods, on hand for those occassions.
Hope things get back to normal, soon.

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 am

All that just missed us here - went a little south of us. Really glad to hear from you that you're all OK - This time of year, in this area, we usually get socked. 3 years in a row, I had insurance claims for storm damage .... Always good to hear that no injuries or lives taken.

Dennis

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu May 14, 2009 9:19 am

Gplayer posted:
Glad everyone is OK. Living in Florida, I can relate to strong winds and living without power for days at a time. * remembers 2004*.

Yep......We only get 3 Seasons down here in Florida........

Fall, Winter and Hurricane Season :shock: .......No, Really! Just ask our Pro Expert Weathermen,
it's in the books AND on the Internet........Hurricane Season (June 1st thru Nov 30th) :roll: .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Off Topic”