SHAPELY DESIGNS

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: SHAPELY DESIGNS

Postby Veenture » Sat May 02, 2009 3:36 am

Hey guys, …really dig those reactions and comments!
Yes, these classic shapes are cool, for sure -and Danny is lucky enough to have more than one of 'em too! I'm not 'there' yet myself but I'm working on it! -just as some of you are too, right?! I want a Mosrite '63 Side Jack and a Ventures '65 reissue too, ...to start with! :lol: :roll:

With my composite picture I was secretly counting on getting our minds wrapped around that offset body contour once more, fired up again by the recent discussions that went on in the Elaine Frizzell thread.
Desert Surfer, your list of preferences/ratings illustrates the desirability in each model and yeah, they would make good Refrigerator Magnets too. Dennis, how about "KEEP IT COOL WITH…"

Well, if prizes were to be won here, then the first prize must definitely go to… MWaldorf –congratulations Mel! (applause and sha-boom).

Bull's eye, he's hit the nail right on the head as far as I’m concerned! This underexposed aspect of the reverse Jazzmaster shape added into the Mosrite mix has been my thought for donkey's years now. Glad it surfaced -and in the way it did here too; excellent graphic comparison, highly suggestive.

Anyway, the design discussion will always continue I suppose but I second it, what gplayer said:

"Those Mosrite Mark I (Ventures) has always been my favorite guitar body shape. It's just flat sexy."

Have a good weekend all, ;)
Paul

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat May 02, 2009 11:42 am

Veenture wrote:Bull's eye, he's hit the nail right on the head as far as I’m concerned! This underexposed aspect of the reverse Jazzmaster shape added into the Mosrite mix has been my thought for donkey's years now. Glad it surfaced -and in the way it did here too; excellent graphic comparison, highly suggestive.

I guess you could say that Semie took inspiration from two of the best designs of the jet age and created the ultimate design for the space age!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat May 02, 2009 12:33 pm

MWaldorf wrote:
Veenture wrote:Bull's eye, he's hit the nail right on the head as far as I’m concerned! This underexposed aspect of the reverse Jazzmaster shape added into the Mosrite mix has been my thought for donkey's years now. Glad it surfaced -and in the way it did here too; excellent graphic comparison, highly suggestive.

I guess you could say that Semie took inspiration from two of the best designs of the jet age and created the ultimate design for the space age!

Mel, you get to have second prize too!!!!! :lol: :D :lol: :D :) :P :| .... :mrgreen:

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Mon May 04, 2009 3:31 pm

A little off-topic, but since we're mentioning Fenders....I recently tried out one of the new Road-Worn Strats from Fender. They are kinda like Mexican made relics. I was real impressed - the Strat felt really nice. I think I like these more than any guitar Fender has released in the last few years. They feel fantastic - I liked the feel even more than the Eric Johnson strat. You strat fanatics should check 'em out.

Byron

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue May 05, 2009 6:32 am

Byron, don't worry, Fender will always stay in the picture for me too! ;)

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 05, 2009 7:36 am

64sunburst wrote:A little off-topic, but since we're mentioning Fenders....I recently tried out one of the new Road-Worn Strats from Fender. They are kinda like Mexican made relics. I was real impressed - the Strat felt really nice. I think I like these more than any guitar Fender has released in the last few years. They feel fantastic - I liked the feel even more than the Eric Johnson strat. You strat fanatics should check 'em out.

Byron

I tried that model when I was testing the 72 Twin Reverb Amp for sales on Craigslist. It's seller's guitar. It plays well, feel great and sounds good too. I ended up buying the amp. (Seller was smart to let me use this one for testing) But I can't say I like the heavy relic looks.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 am

Dennis, I've got a bunch of Stratocaster refrigerator magnets. They're all over our Whirlpool. It's a photo of a '64 3 tone sunburst (transitional logo, pre-target burst). We picked up a couple more just a few weeks ago at Target.

I've got 2 and a half Strats, 1 and a half Jazzmasters, one tele and a Hallmark 60 Custom. All are such different beasts. I'm leaning more and more towards the slim, easy playability of the Hallmark, and it has me wondering about the thin necks on the Mosrite. Never played one extensively, but I'm beginning to think it is an acquired taste that once you 'get it' , it will open new doors to playing style.
Of course, aesthetically speaking, the 'The Ventures' model is in my mind one of the finest looking electric guitar designs EVER! Pure, early 60's modern retro at its coolest.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 am

Trent, I hear ya, I've got the same set AND the Gibson ones too.
But the only Gibson 'survivor' magnets are the SG and the Explorer :roll:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Off Topic”