talking about “SAD MOSRITE TALES”

Veenture
Master Contributor

talking about “SAD MOSRITE TALES”

Postby Veenture » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:50 am

I had just been reading one of Senior Member mosman’s posts (Oct. 04, 2008) in which he mentioned, “passing up a Nokie Mosrite several years ago due to lack of Mosrite knowledge” and that he hoped he wasn’t the only one with a sad Mosrite tale…
Rest assured mosman, you certainly are NOT as I can testify!

And as our Moderator Dennisthe Menace so humorously put it:

…..“We….Are Not Alone!” (hinting at a possible title for a Horror Movie also)

Yes, speaking of sad Mosrite tales, I’ve been there too and if it’s any solace to our friend from Down Under, or to any other member for that matter needing it, then let me tell you what happened to me many years ago here in my native country of Holland. It’s a simple but absolute true tale of an incredible missed opportunity for me in the days that, although I was well aware of The Ventures playing Mosrites, I was still blissfully ignorant of an ever growing underground Mosrite following!

It was during the 1980s (I think) that one day I had just finished browsing around in an Amsterdam guitar shop(dig-it!) and was already starting to make my way towards the exit when an English-speaking guy (bear in mind we’re in Holland), entered the shop carrying a guitar case. He proceeded to put it on the counter and opened it up to show the shop assistant what he had to offer for sale or perhaps to trade with. Not an unusual thing to take place in most guitar shops, sure BUT… (Suspense)

Instead of just another guitar sitting inside, I happened to see that it was a… yes, a Mosrite!! And not only that, wait for it… it was an old looking double neck Ventures type!! (In my lack of Mosrite knowledge I didn’t even know that double neck Mosrites were even made).
Although I found this to be quite an interesting discovery, I was really more excited because of the Ventures connection and couldn’t help myself telling him this. He smiled and said “yeah” and that was that. And I went on my merry way with a smile!

Can you imagine..?!

Only years later I realised that, by mere chance, I had witnessed an ultra rare incident. Not only had I seen a Mosrite in Holland (of all places!) but also that I had let a potential golden opportunity slip through my fingers! I shall never know what the outcome was but in hindsight I still can’t bear the thought of that shop assistant quite possibly having uttered the words “sorry, but we’re not interested” …and worst of all, I wasn’t around anymore to snatch it up instead, uhhh!

For those (young) Mos-fans who don’t know this, the Mosrite name was virtually unknown in Holland back then and even today you can count on getting a blank stare upon inquiring about Semie Mosley’s creation.

My story has never been told to anyone before because I reckoned: “who wants to know…?”
Now I do…the amazing underground Mosrite following at THE MOSRITE FORUM!

Thanks for the opportunity,
Veenture

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: talking about “SAD MOSRITE TALES”

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:05 am

Great story, Paul!

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 am

Thank you for sharing your tale of woe with us. As painful as the memory may be, it does make one feel a little better to get it out in the open and I certainly feel better knowing I'm not alone when it comes to bad judgemnet calls. Real-deal Mosrites are probably as rare in Australia as they are in Holland and it's likely that we'll only get one chance at something like this and it doesn't seem right that they come along at the worst possible times eg: when we're utterly clueless about such matters.
What I'd give for another opportunity. No dropping the ball next time!
Bill.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:19 pm

mosman wrote:Thank you for sharing your tale of woe with us. As painful as the memory may be, it does make one feel a little better to get it out in the open and I certainly feel better knowing I'm not alone when it comes to bad judgemnet calls. Real-deal Mosrites are probably as rare in Australia as they are in Holland and it's likely that we'll only get one chance at something like this and it doesn't seem right that they come along at the worst possible times eg: when we're utterly clueless about such matters.
What I'd give for another opportunity. No dropping the ball next time!
Bill.

You've said it Bill!
Thanks, Paul

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:47 pm

The only sad mosrite tale that I got is this. I was about 18-19 can't remember but I had been saving up some cash cause I had seen a blue mosrite Mk 5 on gbase that I was going to buy. I had been selling all the gear that I didn't use or didn't want any more and I was $100 short of having enough money to buy it ( it was $900 by the way) my girlfriend at the time ended up loaning me the $100 that I needed. I called the guy up from Gbase and it turns out that he sold it 10 minutes before I called. :x

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:10 pm

KRamone27 wrote:The only sad mosrite tale that I got is this. I was about 18-19 can't remember but I had been saving up some cash cause I had seen a blue mosrite Mk 5 on gbase that I was going to buy. I had been selling all the gear that I didn't use or didn't want any more and I was $100 short of having enough money to buy it ( it was $900 by the way) my girlfriend at the time ended up loaning me the $100 that I needed. I called the guy up from Gbase and it turns out that he sold it 10 minutes before I called. :x

Yeah man, I know the feeling. I had an almost exact same experience, the only difference was that is was with an automobile purchase.

But one can also look at it this way; every disadvantage also has its ADvantage...In my case I could now press the car dealer for an even better deal (and got it too!)

Cheers

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:26 pm

KRamone27 wrote:The only sad mosrite tale that I got is this. I was about 18-19 can't remember but I had been saving up some cash cause I had seen a blue mosrite Mk 5 on gbase that I was going to buy. I had been selling all the gear that I didn't use or didn't want any more and I was $100 short of having enough money to buy it ( it was $900 by the way) my girlfriend at the time ended up loaning me the $100 that I needed. I called the guy up from Gbase and it turns out that he sold it 10 minutes before I called. :x

Ouch! That's like having your favourite team leading by a few points all the way and then losing in the dying seconds of the game.
Very sad.

Return to “Off Topic”