Guitar Player magazine reviews.

TimR
Valued Member

Re: Guitar Player magazine reviews.

Postby TimR » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:22 am

Yep, that's the mystery Mosrite. They asked George Gruhn about it. He, in turn asked Andy Moseley about it.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:54 am

That guitar WAS made for the Motley Crue although I don't know if they ever received it, and for which member of the group.
I remember Semie telling me about it over the phone back in mid to late '90.
And another one that Semie was working on around that time was Tom Petty's Candy Apple Red Mark V.....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:09 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:That guitar WAS made for the Motley Crue although I don't know if they ever received it, and for which member of the group.
I remember Semie telling me about it over the phone back in mid to late '90.
And another one that Semie was working on around that time was Tom Petty's Candy Apple Red Mark V.....

This MC guitar is completely legit. The issues that Andy and Elaine with all due respect claim are incorrect are simply not so. If you guys are going to put this stuff in print for the globe to see, can you at least have better information than " I think"??? I personally attended the LA Guitar expo in 1989 where Semie and Mosrite were displaying and all of the guitars had these new features such as finished fretboards, the new pickguard that was open in the neck pickup area, a new shaped truss rod cover, new diamonized finishes, the new Nokie Models, etc. I agree with the knobs, but a pro musician who is under pressure when the lights can be dim, is likely to put a knob one the guitar that suites his needs. People sometimes change our Hallmark knobs out, that does not make the guitar not legit. I also have a few of the rad painted Mosrite guitars myself from this period and I know for a fact these were painted by a small custom paint shop in NC at that time. These had nothing to do with Ed Elliott. I am sure Eddy would be the first to confirm this fact. I also have an article in a small paper on Mosrite that states in the essay that Mosrite was indeed building a guitar for Mick Mars of Motley Crue. I feel sorry for the guy who purchased this historic piece for a good buck, and hope he gets the right information on this guitar. I may write a " to the editor to VG " letter. There really are so few people who really know all of the different periods that Mosrite went through and timelines and models. You really had to be paying close attention.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks for pointing that out Bob ;) . And maybe you can confirm that the "M C" on the fretboard
was not for 'Mosrite Custom,' but rather it stood for 'Motley Crue.'
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Off Topic”