Remembering 9-11

Veenture
Master Contributor

Remembering 9-11

Postby Veenture » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Dear friends in America,

I’d like to take this opportunity to salute all your country’s 9-11 heroes, many of whom were on the ground or in the doomed buildings themselves on that fateful day and yes, those horrified but corageous men and women who were in the air as hijacked passengers and crew fighting the enemy to their last breath, even if only in thought and prayer…and in one instance even successfully preventing their hijacked plane from deliberately being steered into what was probably meant to be The White House.

I shall never forget that day while at the office…those unreal pictures on the TV screens engraved into my memory. At the time I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and like so many of my colleagues too, thought that it was some sort of unspeakable cruel joke.

It was no joke but it was cruel…utterly- and un-humanly so (no typo). It hit me suddenly, realising without any prompting whatsoever that I had just witnessed on real time TV how a second Pearl Harbour had just taken place…

Rest in peace the murdered victims and may we stay ever vigilant and not fall asleep...

mosman
Top Producer

Re: Remembering 9-11

Postby mosman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:13 am

There's not much I can add to that Paul except that you said it so well and to this day I still can't watch most of that footage or documentaries / movies about that terrible event.
Bill.

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 am

My only hope is that the event never escapes our memory; My fear is that we have moved on, and it now just occupies a blurb in the history books. As has been said, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance ..." Thanks for remembering.

Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:38 am

I only remember saying a prayer for the folks that day. I didn't have television by that time (That's a different story) But... Rest in Peace, To all the folks... I never exactly thought of it as another pearl harbor attack, I have no idea why...
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:15 am

101Volts wrote:...//...I never exactly thought of it as another pearl harbor attack, I have no idea why...
...you may want to do some 'googling'...http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=9%2 ... eken&meta=

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:48 am

Hey Paul,

Thanks for what you said. I remember that morning being very grateful that I slept in to 11am that day. I worked as a courier in the Washington DC area and making trips to the pentagon was common place. At the time I share an apartment with my brother and his girlfriend (now wife) and she worked in DC for the Dept of Labor. We couldn't call her to know if she was okay because all the phone lines were down. Some how she managed to get a hold of us and we met her at the closest metro station. She had to take the long way back, because there was threats of bombs to hit the train line that went over the Potomac River.

Finally after 2 hours she made it back home safely. It was probably the longest 2 hours of our lives. Even though much of this was never reported on the news, car bombs went off in DC as well. At the time we didn't even know if the White House and US Capital was still standing because the chaos of that day.

Two days later when went back to work, I drove on I-95 passing the pentagon to see it was still on fire and I came to tears. Although I know it was very hard on Washingtonians, I can't imagine the heart break and lost that the people of New York felt. I think one of the things that really helped me personally to get through this tragedy was the since of unity from the country, the Americans flags hanging anywhere and everywhere.
I was coming home from work last night and I drove pass a crane on the side of the road with a flag draped on top of it and it brought it all back to 8 years ago, and how fragile life really can be.
Thanks Again Paul.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Aaron I remember that day very well. When I worked for Music Outlet there in Manassas I would go out and do pa installations in churches and businesses. The day before the Pentagon got hit, it was just like a normal day and I was driving the box truck that they use to deliver Pianos and other goodies in from a church in Maryland back to Manassas going down the 395 that runs alongside the pentagon. I was going back to the church to finish hanging speakers and run cables and I looked over to see that the pentagon was hit by something so I turned on the radio to hear about what happened. That was a sight I don't think I will ever forget.

Return to “Off Topic”