Is it just me.........

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Re: Is it just me.........

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Pondering on this subject and the varied (thank you) responses, 'definitely remember way back when, at Purdom's Suburban Music in La Grange, IL, USA, when Mr. Ben Purdom would wear a Brooks Bros suit and so did his employees, of lesser qualities, of course. All female eployees wore dresses or skirts. But yes, they showed the instruments and it was a rare day one would be offered to you to try, yourself, after you were watched to be gaping in awe. And then if you stayed long enough, Mr. Purdom would sit at the piano and do a Mozart piece and then play something where every single note was "off." Atonal. Amazing.

Further pondering, likely in the metro Chicago SA / GC visited by this picker, more or less 1.5 times per visit, someone is "delivering the wattage." Interestingly tho, sometimes there will be a class act like Desert Surfer deftly rolling off shining notes from "Torquay" or a jazzer at doing two changes per bar, at reasonable volume. And the pierced, tattooed metalheads will stand in reverent disbelief.

"Wow, man, whoa, dude, cool, hey, man, whoa, man, dude, hey. So that's what MUSIC sounds like. Whoa, man, cool, hey, dude, man, hey...."

Hang around on the surface of this planet long enough and one encounters a truly broad spectrum of different earthling behaviour....

Sixstringer

Re: Is it just me.........

Postby Sixstringer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:13 pm

I have walked out of big music stores in disgust because I would try and check out something, and it never fails, you got somebody in the amp section that has to pull out everything he's got and show the whole store what he can do, and not let up for ANYTHING. That annoys the heck out of me. I once told one of the sales kids that I was gonna buy an AC30, but I can't hear it. He just looked at me like, "Doy?" :roll:
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1971 Mosrite Mark 1
A whole bunch of other stuff
http://www.myspace.com/guitarjunkiejeff

Return to “Off Topic”