Thanks guys!

mosman
Top Producer

Thanks guys!

Postby mosman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:25 am

I've just checked out some Collins Kids videos on youtube after seeing their name mentioned a few times on the forum, and what can I say but "the Collins Kids RULE!!!"
Those old clips are the most entertaining songs I've seen in ages. Talk about the total package—they've got/had it all, visually and aurally. I can pretty well guarantee that none of my fellow Aussies know anything about the CK's but I'll be showing these clips to all my friends that's for certain.
Thank you MF members for introducing me to the Collins Kids!

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Thanks guys!

Postby dubtrub » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:27 am

Check out the Deep Discount DVD, they have several of the old Town Hall Party gang DVDs. I ve got a couple of the Collins Kids and one of Joe Maphis on order at the moment.

:arrow: Collins Kids DVD
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:14 pm

Update: I just watched the Collins Kids DVD. Can't say as I care for it. Sound quality is horrible and the video isn't much better. Sort of expensive at around $20 plus for a DVD that I'll probably never watch again. I haven't watched the Joe Maphis one yet. Hope it's a little better, but I doubt it. It reminds me of an old VHS copy of a copy of a copy transfered to DVD. Save your money and watch them on YouTube.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:06 pm

Danny,
I bought the Joe Maphis DVD a few years ago when they first became available. Sad to say,
I believe it's just one of those 'technological things' at the time. The Joe Maphis shots are OK,
some episodes better than others, but at least we have a bit of History forever ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:11 pm

OK, I just finished the Joe Maphis DVD and must say it was some what better. It's too bad that the quality is so bad because those shows are some great history. For the amount of money they charge for the DVDs one would think they would have them digitally re-mastered.

There are some great shots of not only Joe's double neck, but the amps and the rhythm guitar players 58 Jazzmaster sun burst with the gold Pick guard. There's Rose Lee playing her acoustic (Martin ?) with a Bigsby neck, also shots of the early telecaster style bass guitar with the massive white pickguard and another shot of a gold guard S/B P bass. I think the amps are the Standels as mentioned by Deke.

What I find interesting is, being it is a recorded live performance, there are several missed notes and beats virtually all through both DVDs. That makes it more natural. You can tell they are having a blast.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:31 pm

dubtrub wrote:OK, I just finished the Joe Maphis DVD and must say it was some what better. It's too bad that the quality is so bad because those shows are some great history. For the amount of money they charge for the DVDs one would think they would have them digitally re-mastered.

There are some great shots of not only Joe's double neck, but the amps and the rhythm guitar players 58 Jazzmaster sun burst with the gold Pick guard. Also shots of the early telecaster style bass guitar with the massive white pickguard and another shot of a gold guard S/B P bass. I think the amps are the Standels as mentioned by Deke.

What I find interesting is, being it is a recorded live performance, there are several missed notes and beats virtually all through both DVDs. That makes it more natural. You can tell they are having a blast.

ALL of those early shots of the Electric Bass (the Telecaster and the "P" Bass) are
actually shots of the Early "P" Bass from 2 different Generations already.
That Fender "Telecaster Bass" would not be available until the late '60s......
Rosie's Martin, (according to Deke?), has the Original Mosrite (Six in Line) Neck,
which BTW, Joe and Larry's Doublenecks had this Original Headstock on them.....
That Gorgeous '58 Fender Jazzmaster had an Anodized Pick-Guard on it........
darn It!!..I wish I had purchased ANY one of these when they were NOTHING!!
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Music Related”