Summer projects

Dillon

Summer projects

Postby Dillon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:50 pm

I think the Mosrite will be the one guitar I never want to modify. All my other ones though, are perpetual projects :lol: Thought I'd share some with you guys.

This is an old project I started years ago. I've never been good at naming things, and it still doesn't have one...suggestions welcome :) It was the first (and only) guitar I've built from scratch. When I built this I had easy access to lots of power tools, and was playing guitar every day, working hard to get better, and better understand the instrument itself. Building a guitar was a natural choice.

It was a great experience and the guitar turned out really well. But a couple years later, I decided I wasn't happy with the body. Mainly it was the 1/8" round edges instead of 1/4" round found on most Fender type guitars. Also, the raised grain of the ash body stuck out like a sore thumb. I took everything apart, sanded the finish down, re-routed the edges, and used sanding-sealer to fill in the grain holes. This was the result:

Given that the grain was now filled, I couldn't do a stain like I did before. I knew it'd have to get a spray finish. Since I didn't want to hide the grain, I decided to go with a transparent white. I mixed up some paint using mix I got from a wood store, and paint thinner. After a few coats it was looking like this:

Then, something drastic happened. I had the body hung from the ceiling by a coat-hanger. Biggest mistake I've ever made and I'll never do it again...I came home one night to find out that it had come crashing down onto the concrete garage floor, causing this:

Shortly after that happened, I moved, and had no access to any tools. With various other things going on and no place to work on it, I lost motivation. But I'm finally getting started on it again.

As a first step, I filled the crack with a thick super glue to keep it together. I'll probably use wood filling putty to fill in the rest of the crack. Then I'll have to sand the finish all back off and start over...not only have I long forgotten how to mix this paint color (whoops), the crack will be too obvious with a transparent finish. I may try for a sunburst (black around the edges would hide the crack well enough), otherwise it's going to be a metallic color, probably a dark green or blue. I've never done sunburst though, so that's the only thing holding me back.

I also have another body just like this that I'm going to start work on. It's already cut out, but has no contour on the back, and the neck pocket needs to be shaped. I think for this one I'll give it a standard Strat / Jazzmaster shaped neck pocket, instead of making my own. It'll make things a lot easier later down the road. I'll keep posting updates as I go on :D

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Summer projects

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Wow, what a shame!

That is a cool guitar and I really like that transparent white with that grain. Too bad you filled the crack with glue. You should have been able to fill it with yellow carpenters glue and squeeze/clamp it back together making the crack minimal. Sunburst will work but won't have the charm of that translucent white. Good luck and keep us posted.
Danny Ellison

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: Summer projects

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:01 pm

agreed, sorry that happened to ya. I have always liked that look on ash with the raised wood grain. for doing a sunburst, there a bunch of how to info on reranch.com and what helped me was practicing on a piece of scrap wood. if you have any questions let us know, looking forward to more pictures. thanks for sharing! :D
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”