eBay UK sale of a Mosrite Brass Rail owned by Jester

The Jester

eBay UK sale of a Mosrite Brass Rail owned by Jester

Postby The Jester » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

Further to a recent post in which I declared my intention to sell it, I have listed my Mosrite Brass Rail guitar for sale on eBay UK. Of course, I will miss it, and I really do not want to sell it, but my credit card bils exceed £6000, and it is really hard to make repayments. Up until last month I was an MA student (which was finally awarded on Novemeber 5), and although I have found a job recently which starts in January, I still can not afford to keep this.

Here's the link to the sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=015

I doubt it would sell though. I purchased it for a large sum, and if I am to recoup my costs (taking into account Paypal and eBay fees), I must sell it for an amount that would sound excessive to many. The Credit Crunch here in the UK has put off many consumers from spending, and in times of recession people seem to economise on electric guitars, which many would, unfortunately, categorise as luxury items, I suppose.
If anyone here wants it, you are welcome to bid, and if anyone has reasonable offers to make, I will be only too pleased to hear from you.
Any emails regarding this matter should be sent to my private email address, which is:

j0kingjester@hotmail.com

I thank everyone for all the information they provided after I purchased this instrument, and of course, at some point, I will acquire another Mosrite. Perhaps some people on this forum feel I have been quite hasty and shown Semie Moseley and Mosrite great disrespect by selling this instrument, but this is most certainly not the case. I am very fond of Mosrite guitars, and rate them very highly. It is just that I cannot justify keeping something this expensive when there are bills to pay and bailiffs to be placated. When I purchased it, it seemed unfathomable to me that I would be out of work until January, and I thought I would probably be working from November and I would be able to pay the credit card bill with the first few salary payments, but alas, that is not the way it turned out. I guess I just heard this instrument and knew right then that I would have to buy it; it sounds exquisite, and I would be very, very sad to sell it because I don't think any other guitar would be an adequate replacement.

Anyway, I have bored everyone enough. Now it is time to go.

Kindest Regards

The Jester

mosman
Top Producer

Re: eBay UK sale of a Mosrite Brass Rail owned by Jester

Postby mosman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:52 am

It always breaks my heart when someone has to sell a treasured guitar, not because they want to, but because of necessity. I've never had to yet, but that day may yet come. If there's one bright spot in all this, at least you can say you actually owned this great guitar and you know how it felt and sounded first hand— something I'll never experience that's for certain.
I hope you score another Mosrite soon.
Everybody should own at least one.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:07 am

mosman posted:
It always breaks my heart when someone has to sell a treasured guitar, not because
they want to, but because of necessity. I've never had to yet, but that day may yet come.
If there's one bright spot in all this, at least you can say you actually owned this great
guitar and you know how it felt and sounded first hand

Mosman, couldn't agree with you more!
Jester- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PIX taken of you
with the Brass Rail IN YOUR HANDS before you
let Her go......... :cry:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

The Jester

Postby The Jester » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks, it has been a pleasure owning this Mosrite, and yes, I will have pictures taken of me playing it. I took it with me today, and I sat in a shabby London graveyard near Tottenham Court Road playing it, to entertain the dead. It was fun.

I am thinking of ending the listing, maybe you guys could state your opinions here. They would be much appreciated.

You see, last Tuesday, I went for a job interview with a massive marketing company. On Friday they offered me the job, but it was unconfirmed until today. Now I have a contract, the job is permanent, and though I will not be rich doing the work, I have just finished my MA, and I want to concentrate on my writing and make short films, so as long as it pays my bills and lets me get on with my interests, it would do. With this job, my bills will be sorted, and as I could live a few more months with my parents (rent free), maybe I could pay off the credit card bills and then keep the Mosrite? After all, I know I would seriously regret this. I already sold three of my Fender guitars, none of which were as special as this but they did serve their purpose. One, a Japanese Fender Jaguar was a very special guitar for all sorts of reasons. You see, I have a health condition that affects my feet so sometimes I am bed bound for weeks. A few years ago, when I was doing my BA, and just taking it easy, I dropped that sucker on my foot - I didn't exactly like that. As a consequence, I developed a trapped nerve in my left foot (it can't be operated on due to complications that are caused by the problem I already have), but during those three weeks, which were, oddly enough, reminiscent of James Stewart's experience in Rear Window (for that's the only view I had - this was summer, and there were a lot of people out there!!), I had an opportunity to play this guitar for the whole time. It made that time easier to live through, and I was very fond of it because I made some cool music on that and it sounded so good. I had to sell it. The Mosrite is similar since I played it for a few depressing weeks and it made them far less depressing than they would have been. Now I feel as if I am betraying an old friend to save my own skin. I mean, maybe if I sell it I will regret it. I am not a very good player - in fact I am awful. I make so many mistakes, and can't even play a piece without making a critical error at some point, but I do like playing and it is fun. I'd hate to lose this guitar. If I can suffer some hardship for a few more months, if I endure living with my parents for a few more months, and tolerate a few more threatening letters from the banks, I could pay every penny back in the next six months. If I do not spend on anything (Not food, cigarettes, etc, except necessities (like guitar strings)), I could probably keep this. I would never sell it, or allow myself to get into a position to lose it. What do you reckon? If I could endure the pain, would it be worth it? I mean, I do love it.

If this job does not work out, then I would probably have to relist it, but I figure that it takes some months before employers know that you suck at your job. If I am good, they shouldn't have any problems, but if I can't do the job, they may have to consider that I am a new member of staff and may improve in time. It may be enough time to pay off some of those debts. I could take the guitar to work and play it during lunch - who needs food?!! I'd rather play guitar than waste my time eating (I get an hour anyway).

Also, Mosman, if I ever have the good fortune of meeting you, and if I do decide to remove this listing and keep the Brass Rail, I will definitely let you play it. I would like nothing better than to let other musicians and Mosrite enthusiasts experience the pleasure of playing one. You said some very cool things, and so did Dennis the Menace, and I do appreciate it. I will think about the listing, and if I think it is better to remove it, I will do so in good time. I don't know about you guys, but when a guitar goes, sometimes so does the feeling the guitar inspires, when you do more than what you expected of yourself. Some guitars make you want to make music you wouldn't normally get excited enough to play. This Mosrite is special and I wonder if my fear of banks would win out or my love of music and this wonderful instrument.

For now, take it easy. This story will continue!

Regards

The Jester

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Jester,
Congratulations on the job - that must be a big relief. I can understand having emotional ties to guitars, especially those that were with you through ups and downs. Of course, outside the emotional value is the practical aspect of replaceability - an MIJ Jaguar is much easier to find than a Mosrite, let alone a brassrail, let alone a brassrail with a vibrato tailpiece. For that reason, if you really love the guitar, and you're willing to accept the hardship, and you're parents will put up with you :roll: then I'd suggest keeping it. On the other side, if you do have to sell it, I'm sure there will be another guitar at another time that will win your fancy.
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Hey Jester,
After reading your latest post I reckon you should hang onto the guitar and only sell it if you are absolutely certain you have to. As I haven't been in your position yet, there were a few times when I thought it was looming and I jumped the gun and sold guitars needlessly. I would recommend you don't create a situation in your mind that may not come to reality,but I guess you're the only one who knows the circumstances and how to make the call on that.
I must say also that I checked your guitar out on ebay and if I lived in your country there's a good chance I'd buy it and hang onto it for you in the event you were able to buy it back again. It's gorgeous.
Whatever your decision mate, think it over carefully first.
Bill

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:13 am

K E E P IT! Sounds like you at least have to try.

The Jester

Postby The Jester » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi Dudes,

Yep, you guys are right, I should try to keep it. I have decided not to sell it. If the Bailiffs come I will just have to hammer them with the guitar!!! Lol.
I removed the listing. If anyone wanted to buy it, I am sorry. I love this guitar. I know it's not a Ventures model, but it sure is a lot cooler (and better sounding) in my opinion. I love using it as a surf and classical instrument. I can play everything on it, and it pretty much sounds as it was designed to play each of these styles. I think I am going to try and hold on to this one. Perhaps the day will come when I have to sell it, and I am sorry if anyone interested in it can't purchase it at this time, but you know, most of you probably wouldn't have sold it either.
In fact, I may be able to play it in the cab as I am taken to and from work, and at my work site, I have a locker where I could put it in its case, and play it during my lunch breaks in local parks or graveyards (you could tell I am a Beckett fan right?). I could go and continue playing this in the graveyards, and it would give me a chance to think about art and music, away from the cut-throat world of marketing PR and cosmopolitan blandness. When I find out the name of the graveyard, perhaps some of you could join me to play in London lunch breaks as the yuppies go stuffing their faces with corporate lunches.
I will enjoy my new job if I know that it is book-ended by Mosrite playing, and the office is too quite and too secure for anyone to even attempt to steal it. Besides, I never leave the office during the day, and when I do it will go with me. No chance of putting a Mosrite under your coat and walking out without the 50,000 surveillance camera's catching a glimpse in the corporate office building (not to mention the gazillion other camera's outside on Central London streets!!).

I will keep playing and I will post again. I may put some YouTube videos soon, but I have to brush up my skill before I do so, since I am a dreadful player. You guys are the best since you encouraged me to do the right thing. I will have to see six months of real hardship, but that's the way it's gotta be. The cool thing is that every day until I pay it off, I get to play it. This is not a showroom guitar, this one is for making music (badly, at this stage)!!!!!!!

Regards

The Jester

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:26 pm

I could go for some of those Youtube videos when you get some time to film them. I've never heard the sound of a Brass Rail model.

Edit: Whoops, This was in the buying and selling forum. I was using the search bar and decided to bump this up, I thought it was in the vintage guitars section! :lol:
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

The Jester

Postby The Jester » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:34 am

Sure, I will post some Youtube videos at some point. It is just that these days, with the rigors of full-time work, I have few opportunities to do that sort of thing. On the bright side, I do take it to work with me and play it during my lunch breaks. who needs to eat when you can rock 'n' roll!!
I am not on the forum very often but I do like to check in and out sometimes, so when the videos go up, I will let you know!!

I A aka The Jester

Return to “For Sale”